Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

version 5.3 build 5 Aug 25, 2020

the RMP is still causing the Roku to lose audio.  so far it has been a half-dozen times requiring a system restart to get the audio back.

playing audio files with repeat and shuffle on, RMP will stop playing.  sometimes pressing play or restart from the beginning will get it started again.  sometimes it requires exiting RMP and restarting RMP.

also, I can verify the photo play problem.  it will not continuously play.  it does repeat but at some point RMP exits to the home menu.

Do you know how many songs you've played before losing audio? I left mine running for over 30 minutes without an issue. But I don't have a very large music collection, so perhaps the library size is the issue. I know the developers are aware of problems with large libraries. 

I'm using a new NAS I got to run Channels Plus DVR.  so far I have been only running it with about 10% of 4 Tb capacity.  I have only added selected files so I don't have a large number of media files on it.  the Roku does not have access to the DVR files. 

audio file folders run from one audio file to under 200.  total number of media files if all media selected is just under 700. 

the longest audio file is just under 4 hours, in a single folder. 

playing time could be from a few minutes to several hours when the problem appeared. 

I would have been changing tracks, changing folders, checking the restart of files, checking start from beginning, and checking replay at end of file.

OK, let's make sure @RokuChris is aware of it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 11

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

here is a new one:

no audio while using RMP.  no activity prior to using RMP other than to check for an update at the home page.  required a system restart to regain audio.

0 Kudos
Rickb19184
Level 9

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

that why i like VLC player it works with all format but is a big pain that a Roku device that have a horrible player fractures when it comes to playing format like MKV file yes you can play it but it doesn't fully support it like you can paly it it you can go back or can pulse it no nothing my VLC player can do much better then the horrible player that come with Roko is no better then a VLC player that has no problem playing any format and have a Media steam server where we keep all of are movies on and we even' play it. but we can with VLC i have it on a Xbox one works fine it just that the media it's so horrible player that can't play all format and I know I don't to take the time to convert my movies that is like a 1.TB of movies so it can play it it a big pain in the **bleep** . all we are asking is for all file support formats or something even VLC player will better that what we have now please Roku fix this a better play for all format support when we want to steam form a media network devices. I wish we had VLC player for Roku i will be a better choose  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Your post is extremely difficult to read without punctuation. But I understand your point. I have VLC on my Shield players and my PCs, but I only use it on the computers. For the Shield players, VLC is clunky to use and has no metadata, other than tiny cover images. RMP is far better in that regard.

Having support for virtually all containers and codecs would be great. But VLC has make it very clear they will not port their app to Roku. VLC is written in C++, which does not run on the Roku OS. All Roku channels must be programmed in the language Roku provides, and VLC has stated it simply isn't possible to make VLC work in that language.

Dan

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@Rickb19184 wrote:

please Roku fix this a better play for all format support when we want to steam form a media network devices. I wish we had VLC player for Roku i will be a better choose  

Plex is pretty good at supporting many formats on many client players.   Try it if your media server supports it or you can use  a PC or mac as the server.

0 Kudos
Rickb19184
Level 9

I have tried that before and it's a nice system you  have to have a account just to use it with a email address and i did find out i need to connected to the internet to work i find out because i turn off the internet to. i just wish there a way without having account  just to have a LAN connection that all i do i don't wanted connected to the interment . So VLC is the only player wail work with out a account to them. all wed need a better player or something like VLC 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Plex is probably the simplest to use, with Emby being right up there as well. I do think both transcode a bit more than necessary, but I haven't really looked at their transcoding profiles in quite some time. But they both have a nice user interface, and both are available for free and have a dedicated Roku channel/app.

In general RMP works pretty well with most DLNA servers, and I am partial to Serviio, of course. That's because I wrote the transcoding profiles that Serviio includes for Roku devices. The main disadvantage to Serviio is that it doesn't auto-assign the best profile for a particular player. I never could that that to work at all. Smiley Frustrated

EDIT: I see you posted you've tried Plex. Yes, it requires a user account. I believe Emby does as well. Most DLNA servers do not require Internet access to function correctly. If you want metadata retrieved for your media, then an Internet connection is needed. But at least with Serviio there's no user account and no need for Internet access if you don't care about the metadata. Or if you do, you can create IFO files for each piece of media and tell Serviio to use that for the metadata.

Dan

0 Kudos
Rickb19184
Level 9

i already have a DLNA servers and i do j have VLC on my Xbox works fine with my setup it just the Roku player is a pain in the **bleep** to work with the formats . i just with it will be fix at one point I like Roko I use it all time time but the media player is a pain to work with if i  just want to with movies form my DLNA server

0 Kudos
atc98092

What DLNA server are you using? Perhaps I might be able to suggest something.

Dan

0 Kudos
Rickb19184
Level 9

I'm using a synology server with  there Media Server that supports DLNA feature it works grate for all players like on my Xbox one with VLC it says it supports al devices  and it works with the Roku one but the problem is that the one for Roku doesn't supported all formats like MKV. it wont even play it right or nothing it can play any other formats fine i thank. for me to convert all my moves form MKV it will take a long time 

0 Kudos