Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happyrat
Level 9

Re: The horrible new Roku Media Player update is back

So I picked up a couple of Roku Premiere's thinking the problem might be the 512 Megs of Ram in my Express.

Ran my tests and it still crashes the same way even with double the RAM.

Dunno if it's a scam to get us to buy the newest Roku or if the programmers just like pretty graphics more than a working program.

The premieres are going back to Amazon on Monday and I'm gonna buy a google stick or an apple TV instead.

Apparently Roku is incapable of delivering a debugged product within a reasonable amount of time.

Gary 

drandlesr
Level 7

Media Player Update

Since the recent Media Player Update, it will no longer search within Sub-Folders making the Search Feature Useless....If I knew what Folder a Title was in I would not need the Search!  Please Fix this ASAP as this is a major and most important feature we use to play our Private Movies from my Local NAS/DLNA Server....All other players upload to Cloud Servers.

Tags (3)
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Media Player Update

RMP is being updated. It's currently in beta testing, but I have no idea when it might be released. Since I use a DLNA server that doesn't support search, I have no idea if that is one of the updates coming. But I do know it was one of their priorities.

If you'd like to assist with beta testing, send a private message to @RokuChris  and ask to join. The nice thing about the RMP beta is that it doesn't replace the public version, so if something really breaks during beta (Hey, it happens) you still have the working public version. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

I noticed that Roku has a $30 off sale for the Roku Ultra.

I was actually planning to buy another one and would have recommended it to some family and friends.

unfortunately I won't be doing that in good conscious since Roku has broken the Media Player.

atc98092

@Gary-94080 wrote:

I noticed that Roku has a $30 off sale for the Roku Ultra.

I was actually planning to buy another one and would have recommended it to some family and friends.

unfortunately I won't be doing that in good conscious since Roku has broken the Media Player.

RMP is under continual development. They're beta testing an update right now, but due to NDA I can't say what this next version will update. But everything that has been mentioned on this and other posts is being examined. 

What exactly do you consider broken? Perhaps there's a function you might not be aware of that resolves one or more of your issues. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

What exactly do you consider broken? Perhaps there's a function you might not be aware of that resolves one or more of your issues. 

I primarily use the Channels TV app on Apple TV to record and watch cable tv.  the only reason I initially got a Roku Ultra was to watch recordings on channels that Xfinity that were unavailable to the Channels TV app.  (the processing power on the Roku isn't enough for Channels TV to function as I understand it)

for watching video files, I can use either Apple TV or Roku so no need to switch to Roku if I already have the Apple TV on.

for listening to audio files, again either will do initially.  after seeing the native Roku fish tank screen saver I found myself using the Roku.  after the update the native Roku screen saver does not function and the bouncing box does not come close to the fish tank.

so there are three things that will have to be fixed as far as I am concerned.

1.  get rid of the Media Player screen saver or have an option to disable it so the native Roku screen saver can function.

2. make sure that when the Media Player goes from one audio file to the next the screen saver is not disrupted.  this latest update triggers out of screen saver mode when changing audio files, the old one did not.

3. improve the advance function on the audio player.  the current update has a maximum advance of one minute.  some of my audio files are almost 4 hours long so going one minute at a time will not work.  with all the switches I don't recall what the old one had.  from some of the other comments it sounds like there was a capability to pick up play back where it was last stopped and a better fast forward feature.

the last suggestion I have is for Roku to stop screwing with the consumer.  this Media Player update has eroded my confidence in Roku and it will take some effort for them to regain my trust.

0 Kudos
jvo1944
Level 8

Something GOOD to say about the new Roku Media Player

I have some old files that have unallowed characters in their title (usually the forward slash used in a date).  In the old RMP, these titles did not show up onscreen at all, but in the new version they are visible, with a boxed X replacing the bad characters.  This is a minor change but it is helpful, which to me indicates that Roku is trying to improve things for users - they just have a ways to go until they can address the many problems brought up in this forum.

0 Kudos
happyrat
Level 9

Roku pushed the update yesterday.

End result:  Nothing was fixed.

Still crashes on 16,000 plus songs and takes out the Roku sound Driver in the process.  Requires reboot to even get sound back.

I'm worried if the fixes in the future will even apply to the 512 MB Express or if they finally get it working they'll only test it on a Premiere and higher.

The old media player on the Roku 2 could handle 16,000 tunes no problem so I KNOW it's doable.

The programmers need to handle stack overflow conditions properly without gorching the entire system.

I have very little respect for a company that treats its paying customers as beta testers. Smiley Tongue

Gary Smiley Wink

atc98092

Yes, some things were fixed. But I doubt there's any beta tester that has that many songs, so if you offered to beta test you could help identify the issue. I don't recall seeing that mentioned about the previous version, but I'm not saying it wasn't there. Again, your use case is extreme, and you would be a valuable tester if you can help. And you have a valid point about handling errors gracefully. This particular error was probably just overlooked. 

Beta testing still leaves the public version in place, so it's not that the beta version is all you have to use. If you'd like to assist, send a private message to @RokuChris 

Dan

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

RMP is under continual development. They're beta testing an update right now, but due to NDA I can't say what this next version will update.

What features exactly did the new media player add? Anything? Because so far it seems that all that happened was the graphics changed, and a whole list of items were then broken or downgraded, and here we are taking the time to post about all the problems and issues of just trying to get back what was taken away... time we could be spending on other things.

Is this what Roku intended? What exactly was intended by changing the Roku Media Player?