Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brusoft
Level 7

JPG photos not created equal

I'm playing videos and photo slide shows via my Roku from my Synology NAS.  Surprisingly easy for the Roku to find my Synology on my network.  The problem I'm having is not all my JPG photo files are recognized by the Roku Media Player. It appears that all the JPGs coming from my old Canon digital camera and my Samsung Smart Phone (not my Samsung tablet though) play just fine.  I have a Wolverine slide reader that saves the images in JPG format, however the Roku Media server doesn't recognize them.  Looking at the JPG with an EXIF tool, the photos from the camera and smartphone have more underlying information.  How, if at all, can I convert those JPG files to look more like the ones from the camera and/or smartphone so I can view my childhood photos (slides) through my TV/Roku?

Thanks in advance for any clues.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: JPG photos not created equal

Can you transfer them to your computer, open them with a simple image editing tool (Paint for Windows, GIMP for Linux, Photos for Mac), then save as JPG?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
brusoft
Level 7

I've done that using GIMP on Windows, would Paint be any different?
0 Kudos
brusoft
Level 7

I think I have solved my issue.  I noticed that the JPGs not showing all had dimensions larger than the JPGs I was seeing via the ROKU.  The JPGs that were working had dimensions of 2048 x 1536 and the JPGs I've been having issues with were all larger (like 5472 x 3648).  I used GIMP and scaled the image down to a width of 2048 (height was automatically adjusted by GIMP to proportion) and the ROKU presents them just fine.  I'll now have to look at my slide converting tool to see if I can set the scaling so I don't have to do extra work.
0 Kudos