Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ebertsj
Reel Rookie

Ivi channel availability on Roku

Am looking for a way to get access to an "its.tv" channel...this carries mainly Russian films and TV. I see it comes up when I access the Roku "add channels", but ZERO further info (e.g. whether I will actually be able to use with all the blocking of Russia going on...AND, nothing about price...just a marketing blurb. 

When I try to add the channel, it says "where is your Roku device?" - and no way am I going to buy this just to find, "sorry, no such channel" or we blocked this just like we did RT

Anyone else have experience or knowledge? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ivi channel availability on Roku

@ebertsj 

I find an app called Ivi in the Roku Channel Store. I can't find anything called its.tv in the Channel Store. I'm in the USA, so I don't know if that makes a difference. With the last round of blocking, USA services were among the last to block, and Roku was among the last to block.

Whether or not another Russian app will be blocked, I have no idea. The current wave of jumping on the BLOCK THE RUSSIANS!!!1!! bandwagon appears to be over, but if another will come along, who knows.

I tested adding it to my Roku just now. It added, and didn't ask any questions regarding location. Are you using a VPN? If so, that could be contributing. And, be aware that Roku doesn't support using a VPN. Additionally, using VPN to circumvent location restrictions isn't allowed by Roku. That's a long standing thing, by the way, not some new thing.

Now, whether or not that Cyrillic alphabet soup that shows when I launch the app is asking me where I am, I don't know. I don't read the language.

I think it's asking for $16.99 for a subscription, but again, I don't read the language.

The Website seems to indicate a 30-day free trial, from what I can tell (again, language), so you could sign up and watch for 30 days. Most apps let you use your direct subscription credentials. I don't subscribe through Roku, but rather, use my direct subscription to services to log in to the Roku app. If this works the same way, you may get at least 30 days viewing without paying a cent. Or 1.33 ruble.

If it does get cut off, you could count that against the free month and not really lose anything.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
ebertsj
Reel Rookie

It IS ivi I am looking for...and is this $16.99 a month...am guessing it is. Is there any way to do a screen shot? BUT, if you can't read it, and it looks a bit "Greek" to you...LITERALLY as half the Russian alphabet is from Greek, then likely this is it! 

So, just have to get myself a Roku device and life is good...well until as you state the next wave. I am frankly disgusted with my country blocking this as if I am a little child who cannot listen to a different side. And since I speak Russian fluently and HAVE been following both sides, now see this only as making me believe the other side more...have to bet the CIA, NSA, etc. can watch these...and, gee, we can trust THEM, RIGHT???

Thank you so much for this encouraging info! 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@ebertsj 

I hope things work out.

And, if you do get a Roku to watch the app, you may find looking around the Channel Store, there are many other apps that carry interesting programming, including many free apps.

Roku is sold in Walmart, Best Buy, and many other locations. I suggest staying away from the Express, but the Express 4K+ is, to my understanding, a good device. The network capabilities of the Express (model 3930) are not as good as others. Look for "dual band" wireless. That's everything except the Express 3930.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos