Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sycomantis

Is twitchtv available in any channel form within Roku?

It seems that all official and unofficial twitch apps were removed from the channel marketplace as well as any ability to add it in the unofficial way.

Is there any way to get the channel added back? If not, what would be the best alternative device to replace all of my existing roku devices?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is twitchtv available in any channel form within Roku?

@sycomantis 

Seeing as how it's owned by Amazon ...

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

teal123

Seeing as how this is not the entire answer. Twitch runs just fine on the google TV box. There is definitely something going on between Amazon and Roku. I want to upgrade several of my boxes to 4K but no twitch is a deal breaker for me. There are several streamers I like to leave going in the background when I fall asleep. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@teal123 wrote:

Seeing as how this is not the entire answer. Twitch runs just fine on the google TV box. There is definitely something going on between Amazon and Roku. I want to upgrade several of my boxes to 4K but no twitch is a deal breaker for me. There are several streamers I like to leave going in the background when I fall asleep. 

But it is. Amazon owns Twitch, and Amazon would have to build a Roku app. Are you thinking that Roku builds the apps that run on Roku devices? If so, that is a wrong idea. Roku doesn't.

Amazon builds the apps for Twitch (as they own Twitch) and Amazon determines on which platform it runs. If Amazon doesn't build a Twitch app for Roku, then there won't be a Twitch app for Roku. If some third party decides to build an app without Amazon's blessing, that would be a legal issue. That may have happened before the crackdown on the non-certified apps occurred, but Roku has tightened the rules on that and unless and until Amazon builds a Twitch app for Roku, there won't be a Twitch app for Roku.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."