Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AVGeek99
Level 7

Is there a connection speed test app for Roku?

I know certain apps (Netfilx, Vudu, etc...) have connection speed tests built in, but is there a speedtest app for the Roku in general that doesn't depend on Netflix or Vudu servers?  With my Gbit wired home network I should easily get the full 60mbs I get from my ISP, but Netfilx tops out between 20 and 22mbps.  I know that number has to be limited by Netfix's servers.  I've looked and can't find anything on the streaming channel store.  Does anyone no of an app like speedtest.net for Roku?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Is there a connection speed test app for Roku?

https://my.roku.com/account/add/

Use code SPEEDTEST
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I have never found the speedtest channel to be very accurate. On a Roku, it often would top out at 12-15 Mbps, while my computer was reporting my actual DSL speed. It doesn't seem to matter if the Roku is wired or wireless. On my Ultra it seems a little more accurate, but I just don't put much faith in it. The Netflix speed test usually is much closer to what I consider accurate. And I don't think it has anything to do with the Roku network connection. I can watch my wireless access point to monitor real time bandwidth, and my Roku TV is always showing streaming speeds from my local server exceeding 50 Mbps with HD material. I've watched it hitting peaks of over 80 Mbps, which is far faster than my Internet connection, so I'm confident there's nothing in the Roku that is throttling the speedtest app. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
AVGeek99
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
https://my.roku.com/account/add/

Use code SPEEDTEST

Thanks, I'll check it out.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

Dead thread, but to keep everybody from bothering... Even if you can install SPEEDTEST after wading through all the warnings, when you try to run it all you get is a notice that it's been discontinued.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Forum Rules

When creating a topic, please perform a search or glance over the first two pages before posting the topic, as it may have been covered already.  In general, if a thread is more than six months old, generate a new thread (there are very few exceptions to this rule: Dev Forum; Legacy products; threads created by channel creators).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos