Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Is streaming quality better on major services, i.e. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.?

First, my year old TCL Roku TV has excellent native contrast, color, 4k.  But I've watched the same movie or portions thereof on different channels/providers with varying quality.  It's as though some services stream their content with higher bit rates, and vice versa.  Netflix, Criterion, HBO, Prime, Hulu, all stream in excellent fidelity in my experience, while some or most of the free services such as Tubi, Pluto, Plex, Roku Channel, seem to overall stream in lower quality...the picture may be muddy, more artifacts, flat color, etc.  Maybe it's not a bit rate issue but the actual source of the content or movie.  For instance I know that the Criterion Collection company goes to great lengths to restore their films to pristine quality to extent possible before putting on disc or streaming, while maybe another service may stream a same movie originating from a print that is sub par. Has anyone else noticed this?  TIA.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 10

Re: Is streaming quality better on major services, i.e. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.?

Even on a more closed/unified system like a cable or satellite service, its usually the case that not all channels are given the same bandwidth.  So, yes, I guess:  different sources, different codecs, servers, business models… And many people have data caps so companies have to decide what is a "reasonable" stream. And many codecs are adaptive so may vary based on any glitches between you and them. And if they are BIG, they probably have a content server near you and if they are obscure, there may be only one etc.

Re: Is streaming quality better on major services, i.e. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.?

0 Kudos