Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glendaray53
Level 7

Is it possible to record programs that I watch using my ROKU?

I apologize if this has been covered already. I am a new ROKU user, I have the Ultra edition. I am addicted to British TV and subcribe to several channels. Since there is a 5 hour time difference, the evening programs begin at about 1:00 pm my time. There are some that my husband would enjoy but he works, is there some way that I can record them so that he can watch them later?
Thanks, in advance.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Is it possible to record programs that I watch using my ROKU?

The Roku has no such recording ability. While it might be possible, the connections would be complicated and HDCP handshake issues might render it close to impossible. There is a computer program that allows recording sites like Amazon and Netflix, but its name escapes me at the moment. But that would have nothing to do with the Roku and would require that the video you desire to record be available on a web site.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tom_white
Level 7

I wonder if you could use the composite outputs on a Roku Express+ fed into a hard drive recorder or DVD recorder to do that.
0 Kudos
glendaray53
Level 7

Thanks for the replies. Tom, I am pretty tech savvy, but I think that would be beyond me.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

"tom white" wrote:
I wonder if you could use the composite outputs on a Roku Express+ fed into a hard drive recorder or DVD recorder to do that.

You could try, but I'm betting it won't work. 
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

Actually I believe this might solve what you're looking for:  https://blog.roku.com/blog/2017/02/15/p ... nd-sports/

It reads "we also support many other major networks around the world, like CBC, BBC, ITV, Telemundo, and Univision."
0 Kudos
gmaster28
Level 7

https://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7-4- ... words=grex

This link above works for uverse to remove digital copy protection.  It should work with roku too.  Some roku channels have digital copy protection, and some don't.  The  XDIMAX GREX-7.4 Grex Video Stabilizer uses rca connections only, so you would need an older roku, that has rca connections and one that can do 16:9 and 4:3 mode otherwise you will crop off the sides of the show.  Get a roku with rca connections, hook the audio up to your vcr, or dvd recorder, hook the video up to the xdimax, then hook the video out of the xdimax to the vcr or dvd recorder.  Then hook up the vcr or dvd recorder to your tv.  Anything playing on your roku will record to you vcr or dvd recorder.  Any questions, just ask.  Jim
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

It's been at least ten years since i've used a dvd recorder but i doubt things have changed much since then, so all you need is a tv and dvd recorder with corresponding analog input/outputs. The connection would be between the dvd recorder and the tv itself so the recording would be from the output of the tv, the hdcp handshake will have already taken place before it gets to the analog connection your dvd recorder is using, so that video is good as far as all your equipment is concerned. 

edit - it just occurred to me that one change from ten years ago is that most tv's no longer have video output, so unless you have an older tv, you would need something to re-route the video.
0 Kudos
Tony001
Level 7

Sharp Roku TVs do not have any output jacks save for a flash drive and an obscure plug labeled Digital Output (optical) .. The only solution is to buy a better television that does.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Year-old Thread.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos