Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IIISTARGATEIII
Channel Surfer

Re: Is it me or has MSNBC stopped streaming on the NBC&SYFY apps?

Jump to solution

I'm not concerned with how I write Roku versus RoKu. I have no particular reason as to why, except maybe "WiFi" is laid out that way and it just became a habit. Thanks for pointing it out, though.

As per your explanation regarding how developers choosing who/what/how they decide which device works in whatever way they program whatever channel format, which then means it isn't the Roku device, itself, being the cause as to why channels work differently on some Roku devices. That is irrelevant because the bottom line is, when someone is searching for a channel (MSNBC) and depending on how the developer programmed their channel format [then], their format still doesn't work on some Roku devices in the same way as other Roku devices. From the perspective of the consumer, the question and the solution is: Which Roku device does the consumer need to buy in order to have MSNBC "in their face" without needing to hunt MSNBC down and go through hoops in order to find MSNBC and watch MSNBC. 

On one of my Roku devices, MSNBC is right there on the Sling homepage. I don't have to hunt it down by going to NBC than then jogging up and over to "Live" and then jogging down on the left side to find MSNBC, the way I have to do that on a "Roku Express" device.

It doesn't matter that the developers set up their own programming format to operate differently per each device, and that it's the programmers and not the Roku device being responsible for having to hunt down MSNBC or not. What matters is that each Roku device is not operating the same way from the perspective of the consumer.

If a consumer were to purchase the Roku Ultra, they would find MSNBC is right there on the Sling page and they won't have to go hunting for it.

So, you and I are saying the same thing, except my solution is that, currently, the consumer can watch MSNBC without hunting it down if they're using (or go out and buy) a Roku Ultra. I'm just saying that a Roku ultra is the device that, apparently according to you, has the developer programming that allows consumers to find and watch MSNBC right from the get-go on the "Sling Blue" page.

That's what I know, and that's all I know. It's all I need to know. I think it's all anyone really needs to know. I can drive a car and not need to know how it's built.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You are talking about two different things. MSNBC does not have a Roku channel, period. You are finding it within a different channel, Sling, which is in complete control of what channels they offer. How Sling presents the content within their individual offerings, I have no idea, as I don't subscribe. But for anything you are accessing through Sling, you need to contact them about what they offer and if their offerings change on different Roku devices.

Unfortunately, there is no way for Roku to know what providers offer within their channels, and if/how those offerings change based on the device. Just remember that if you are subscribing to providers through a Sling account, it may or may not be possible to use your Sling credentials within other apps that might offer the same content. 

I did do a bit more searching, and it appears that MSNBC is also available through the "NBC News" channel that can be installed on Roku devices. I have no idea if it requires some sort of subscription for access. But the article I found that discusses it, they make no mention of any such requirement. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
IIISTARGATEIII
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK.
I think anyone who finds this thread will be able to make sense of what you said. It makes sense to me.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The only thing that works is downloading the NBC News app! Thank you so much for suggesting that!!!

0 Kudos