Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drummernaut
Streaming Star

Is it me or has MSNBC stopped streaming on the NBC&SYFY apps?

Jump to solution

This morning at 03:30pst I started my NBC app and the MSNBC network has a very old prompt from years ago saying "Stay tuned... the MSNBC live stream will return shortly." That was 3 hours ago. Same for that network on the SYFY app. I checked the site itself and the stream is fine. I have not checked the CHROMECAST yet, I have to find it and plug it in. Was there some anouncment I missed?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Is it me or has MSNBC stopped streaming on the NBC&SYFY apps?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact MSNBC support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach MSNBC support here: https://www.msnbc.com/information/contact-msnbc-n1241695

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I thought NBC had moved all their content to the Peacock channel. Have you look at it to see if that content is there?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Drummernaut
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

They have 11 live channels. Only MSNBC is not streaming. All the previously recorded shows are there. Only live content is affected. I will find and load the peacock and check. Thanks.

Drummernaut
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I did not find it on peacock. I am sure someone will have a simple answer. This seems odd.

PeterBV
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the same problem and question. It’s been out all day. But only the MSNBC channel seems to be down. All of the other channels on the MSNBC app seem to work fine on my iPhone. Very annoying. You would think they would at least post a message with an estimated fix time.

0 Kudos
magomes24
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Any updates on this? 503pm EST here and still "Stay tuned... The MSNBC live stream will return shortly" message as well as very annoying music (that part is subjective) 😩

Drummernaut
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It is now working as of 03:45pst. Seems like nbcu had a problem because it happened across several types of mediums.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact MSNBC support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach MSNBC support here: https://www.msnbc.com/information/contact-msnbc-n1241695

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
IIISTARGATEIII
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have three different RoKu streaming devices in my home. I discovered that it depends on the type of RoKu device being used as to what the channel menu looks like, and how it operates. For example, on my RoKu Express, using Sling, MSNBC is not in the main channel lineup. To get to MSNBC you have to go to RoKu's home page, click on "Streaming" then find NBC. Go to NBC and at the top of that page you have to click across over to "Live." Once you open the "Live" page, you will see another channel lineup on the left side. Scroll down the channel lineup until you find MSNBC. Now click on MSNBC. --- But it's not over at that point...  after you click on MSNBC, you might or might not get a notification that tells you "there is a problem" getting information for that channel. Hit the "back button" and the actual MSNBC channel will show up and start playing. If you don't get the "there is a problem" then MSNBC will just start playing. That is in the RoKu Express.

Now, if you are using the more expensive RoKu larger "box" type device, I have MSNBC access straight out of the RoKu channel lineup in Sling. It's right there, right in the "lineup" and it's even in the "top channels" that I watch regularly. I don't have to do anything except click on it like any other channel. It's right there.

So, I know for a fact that it depends on the RoKu streaming device that you are using. The RoKu device that works properly for MSNBC being right there in your face from the start is the (currently) $79 RoKu "box" looking-type device. It has the "pairing button" in the battery compartment, headphone jack in the remote, TV power button, right side volume and mute button, and the "speak" button to use your voice to change channels. This RoKu is the only one that has MSNBC right there on the "Home Page" of Sling. All other RoKu devices force the user to go through hoops to get to MSNBC.

I know this because I have three different RoKu streaming devices. I regret not knowing this before purchasing the other RoKu devices. I have 5 TV's in my home. I would have purchased 5 of the $79 RoKu devices just to avoid having to go through hoops. Eventually I will be replacing the other 4 RoKu devices with the more expensive devices. That's $400 for RoKu devices. I already spent $150 for the less desirable RoKu streaming devices. That will be over $550 for 5 RoKu devices when it's all said and done. In my opinion that's ridiculous that they charge $80 for a RoKu streaming device that is headache free. Either that or it's ridiculous that I have 5 TV's in my home. 

So, there you have it. That is the problems with not being able to find MSNBC right out of the box on a RoKu device. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@IIISTARGATEIII I don't know specifically why you continue to misspell Roku. The K is not capitalized.

Channel availability differs on different Roku devices based on the age of the device. Many of the newest channels simply will not work on older hardware. That isn't the doing of Roku. The channel developers determine what hardware they will support with their channel, and they are the ones that configure the Roku channel store to make their channel available on specific devices. 

As to the content within a specific channel, such as MSNBC, that too is under the sole control of the channel developer/content provider. It might differ on different platforms (Roku, Fire TV, Android, web based, etc.), but that again is not under the control of the platform provider. 

It appears that NBC has decided to only provide MSNBC through other channels. Since I don't subscribe, I can't verify where it might be found. But my guess would be it's within the standard NBC channel on Roku devices. As you noted, it might also be available through channels such as Sling. Probably also available through channels such as YouTube TV or Fubo.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos