Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Is ROKU Really dropping Fox news?

Jump to solution

I just heard that ROKU was dropping Fox news in order to shut down their reporting! By doing so, ROKU is telling me that I am not allowed to have my own opinions and views and they will make sure only the voice from the left reaches its customers. I'm not sure why ROKU wants to inject politics into their business, but if they do, they will lose me as a customer! This is really Really sad!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Is ROKU Really dropping Fox news?

Jump to solution

Please see our update here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Fox-Channels-Available-On-Roku/m-p/539452/hig...

We have reached an agreement with Fox to distribute their channels on Roku. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Fox channels

Jump to solution

@pafpiglet 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware channels such ABC, NBC, FOX NOW, Watch HGTV, USA NOW, and HBO GO are authenticated channels and will require login with your TV provider.

For more information about authenticated channels, visit our Support page here: Will I have to pay for channels?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hey, ROKU, there are lots of ways to stream today that aren't ROKU. Drop my FOX Apps, I drop you - ALL of my ROKU devices, all over my home, will be gone!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Not yet. you still would be able to watch super bowl.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Please see our update here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Fox-Channels-Available-On-Roku/m-p/539452/hig...

We have reached an agreement with Fox to distribute their channels on Roku. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@easynow7 wrote:

I just heard that ROKU was dropping Fox news in order to shut down their reporting! 

The dispute has been resolved.

It had NOTHING to do with politics, reporting or ideology. The negotiations were over advertising revenue sharing and subscription fee splitting.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

@easynow7 wrote:

I just heard that ROKU was dropping Fox news in order to shut down their reporting! By doing so, ROKU is telling me that I am not allowed to have my own opinions and views and they will make sure only the voice from the left reaches its customers. I'm not sure why ROKU wants to inject politics into their business, but if they do, they will lose me as a customer! This is really Really sad!

That's what you heard, huh?  Too bad you didn't do any fact checking before going off the deep end.

1) It was not just Fox News, it was ALL Fox generated content, including all the extensive Fox Sports stuff.

2) It had NOTHING to do with political views or stifling opinion.

3) This was nothing more than a money negotiation, just like all the carriage disputes that have temporarily pulled many local stations and much other programming off cable companies and satellite distribution while negotiations are in progress.  This ploy by the content providers is now starting to show up on streaming services as well.

4) For the most part the carriers would have been more than willing to continue operating under the terms of the expired contract with the understanding that whatever terms were eventually agreed upon would be retroactive to the expiration of the former contract, but this must be agreed to by the content providers who own the copyrights.  All too often the content providers (Fox in this case) are not willing to grant such an extension, knowing that the public will not understand who really is the bad guy here.

5) In this case the timing was particularly nasty as the Super Bowl, which is being broadcast exclusively by Fox, was coming up only two days later.  Fox was counting on this bringing much pressure to bear.

6) The dispute was settled in only a day.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 7

Fox channels

Jump to solution

it won't let me me watch these channels. It keeps telling me I need to login with my provider info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Fox channels

Jump to solution

@pafpiglet 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware channels such ABC, NBC, FOX NOW, Watch HGTV, USA NOW, and HBO GO are authenticated channels and will require login with your TV provider.

For more information about authenticated channels, visit our Support page here: Will I have to pay for channels?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos