Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Level 9

Is Pluto constantly streaming when app open

I just found Pluto tv and installed on my Roku.  I can not find a way to stop it from streaming other than close the app, and not sure about then.   There is a little window up at the top right ( can change to full screen with the * button)  that appears there is always something streaming there.  I do not want to use my data , till  I am ready to watch something.  Do not want to be streaming while I am looking for something to watch  I do not have unlimited with my ISP.   Is there anyway to stop  the streaming while  deciding what to watch.?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
lion7718
Level 8

Re: Is Pluto constantly streaming when app open

"lfayb" wrote:
I just found Pluto tv and installed on my Roku.  I can not find a way to stop it from streaming other than close the app, and not sure about then.   There is a little window up at the top right ( can change to full screen with the * button)  that appears there is always something streaming there.  I do not want to use my data , till  I am ready to watch something.  Do not want to be streaming while I am looking for something to watch  I do not have unlimited with my ISP.   Is there anyway to stop  the streaming while  deciding what to watch.?

The preview window is always there, there is no way to turn it off.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 9

So it is going to be using my data. I do no really  like that.  
thanks
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"lfayb" wrote:
I just found Pluto tv and installed on my Roku.  I can not find a way to stop it from streaming other than close the app, and not sure about then...?

If the app isn't running, the app isn't streaming.
"lfayb" wrote:
So it is going to be using my data. I do no really  like that. ...

When it's open, yes. Remember, you have to exit the channel to stop it. Don't just turn off the TV and think it'll stop streaming. Must close app.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 9

Thanks
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 11

Just hit the Roku Home button before turning off TV.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
xackley
Level 7

It would be good if Roku could add an option or app requirement that nothing streams unless the end user presses select or play.

Don
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Netflix auto-streams. They won’t care if Roku tried that.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
xackley
Level 7

Some unlucky folks may have data caps
https://broadbandnow.com/internet-provi ... -data-caps
Luckily I am not capped. But roku and netflix  and others should consider those unlucky users who might have need to throttle their internet usage. If those users buy a newer roku, their internet usage will increase, while the total viewing availability decreases.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

You are correct. But if Roku tried to force Netflix to do, well, anything, Netflix could take its ball and play elsewhere. Roku needs Netflix more than Netflix needs Roku. 

Of course, it's not that difficult to stop the streaming. Exit the app. Or hit the Home button on the Roku remote.

I dropped Netflix some time back, so I don't experience the issue, but family members certainly do. I think it's a poor user experience. But, for the no attention span group of users (that seems to grow every day) it's not an issue. I'm not Netflix's target audience, so what I think doesn't matter to them. So, I keep my money. Or spend it elsewhere, actually.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos