Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcbhs05
Binge Watcher

Re: Cold Case Leaving Roku Channel Soon??

Jump to solution

@Bellekymbella wrote:

I have been searching for the DVD boxsets for the longest time! I plan to purchase it as soon as they release it. Perhaps they will see the demand for Cold Case and decide to keep it. They need to just settle the music issue and keep it moving. I'm not sure why that has remained such an issue. That is the only thing that I can think of that they are still having an issue with, and why it is a challenge to air the series. 

The music is the reason why. I am a former employee of CBS and one of my friend's/co-worker's job was to obtain all the releases for each song used on the show. I highly doubt it will ever be released on DVD because it costs too much, which is why originally used music on "Beverly Hills 90210" DVDs were removed and replaced with unknown bands/songs.

Hopefully, we can convince ROKU to keep it permanently this time instead of a three month reprieve. Someone commented that they guessed it might appear on CBS All Access, but I doubt it because it hasn't been on yet since its inception.

Bellekymbella
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

But shouldn't they have had approval to use the songs initially, when the episodes first aired? That whole situation is so weird. In these days and times, music being used comes a dime a dozen. Especially in all the rap song samples and commercials. They can settle it, if that is something that they really want to do. I hope that they will proceed with being mindful of the viewers and our willingness to support this platform if they keep Cold Case. I think it will be beneficial to Roku to do what is necessary to keep the show as an option here. If not, I will be throwing up the Peace Sign and exiting, for sure! I only came to Roku because they had Cold Case. 

dcbhs05
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes they did. It is weird, but the music is licensed for that one air-date. I can only assume a deal is made between Roku and CBS/Viacom with Start TV (over-the-air) for it's syndication of the series. Royalties must be paid each time the song is aired. Royalties are much steeper when you talk about limitless viewing on DVD. It just costs too much and is complex. I believe, like you, that a deal could probably be made, but of course those royalty fees would be passed on to the consumer in the price of the DVDs. It's probably just not cost-effective.

dcbhs05
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

For those of you in the Los Angeles area and unaware you can watch "Cold Case" on Start TV  . Click on "Where to Watch" on the top right.

Please keep Cold Case!!

Jump to solution

Why is Cold Case “leaving this month” again? It just said this back in October and now they are taking it away again? It seems that this is one of their popular shows on roku and they keep trying to take it away! Just leave it on there. 

Re: How can we keep "Cold Case" tv show on for another month?

Jump to solution

I agree. I'm new and I love Cold Case. I would love to watch the complete series.

Arzal1506
Reel Rookie

Re: How can we keep "Cold Case" tv show on for another month?

Jump to solution

Yes, please extend Cold Case. I have two more season to watch. There is no way I can watch them in a couple of days  

carsom

Re: Cold case on the Roku Channel

Jump to solution

I am a college nursing student who has been trying to find someplace to watch cold case for years and I finally find it and its going to be taken away? My father is in the hospital fighting cancer and we facetime and watch the show together, this is the only real bonding we can do because of visitor restrictions. We need this show, please. I am asking you to please reconsider removing this show as it gives Roku a leg up on all other streaming services. I noticed it says "Free for 2 more days" does that mean there will be an option to buy it? I would like more information on that and I would really really appreciate if Roku could keep the channel for my dad with cancer. 

0 Kudos
Ag0125
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Agreed I'm on season 1 episodes 3 I just found it last night after yearsss of searching 😭 Roku please keep it!!!! I can't watch 7 seasons in just 3 days 😢 

TaurusDeluxe
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah, that "Free for X days" line doesn't make any sense to me. Very misleading.

0 Kudos