Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bkmurf
Level 7

Ironic that Replay with Subtitles doesn’t work when watching Roku channel on Roku device.

So I’m watching a movie on my new Roku Express 4K.  I happen to be watching the Roku Channel.  
whoever came up with “turn on subtitles for replay” is a straight up inspired genius.  Whoever failed to make it work on the Roku Channel should be bagging groceries.  

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Ironic that Replay with Subtitles doesn’t work when watching Roku channel on Roku device.

@Bkmurf

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What title are you trying to watching on the Roku channel and are seeing this issue occur?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
darthtyler
Level 8

Re: Ironic that Replay with Subtitles doesn’t work when watching Roku channel on Roku device.

My subtitles did not play on an mkv file. This was played through the Roku Media Player app. Forced subtitles too. 

0 Kudos
darthtyler
Level 8

Whenever I can get rid of Roku forever, I will, they don't care about their customers.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

@darthtyler wrote:

My subtitles did not play on an mkv file. This was played through the Roku Media Player app. Forced subtitles too. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

Support for movie subtitles

Roku Media Player supports embedded subtitles in .mkv files.

To choose a subtitle track use the Star  * while the video is playing. If you have a Roku TV, you also need to select Accessibility.

Roku Media Player will automatically include subtitle tracks found in .SRT and .VTT files.

The files must be saved in the same folder as the video.

They must have the same name as the video and the .srt or .vtt extension.

To include multiple files you must insert a language extension, for example movie.eng.srt or movie.ger.srt.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bkmurf
Level 7

It’s on all shows on the Roku channel.  using a Roku express 4K

hit the replay button. 
video pauses with Progress bar covering bottom third of screen.
Roku thinks, this can take 5-10 seconds itself. 
playback resumes, with progress bar still covering bottom of screen including subtitles) for 6-7 seconds (why?)
when progress bar disappears I might see 4 seconds of captions. 

I have a decent internet connection averaging 100 down 20 up. It makes me wonder if the express has little or less “processing” power than other devices.  As I said, I think the feature is genius, but the device seems under-powered. Replay caption feature works okay on other channels streaming on the device (HBO, Apple, Prime). Once playback resumes, I need Zero progress bar info.  

0 Kudos
Bkmurf
Level 7

It’s on all shows on the Roku channel.  using a Roku express 4K

hit the replay button. 
video pauses with Progress bar covering bottom third of screen.
Roku thinks, this can take 5-10 seconds itself. 
playback resumes, with progress bar still covering bottom of screen including subtitles) for 6-7 seconds (why?)
when progress bar disappears I might see 4 seconds of captions. 

I have a decent internet connection averaging 100 down 20 up. It makes me wonder if the express has little or less “processing” power than other devices.  As I said, I think the feature is genius, but the device seems under-powered. Replay caption feature works okay on other channels streaming on the device (HBO, Apple, Prime). Once playback resumes, I need Zero progress bar info.  

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Bkmurf

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What title are you trying to watching on the Roku channel and are seeing this issue occur?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

0 Kudos