Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mindpilot
Level 7

International Channel Availability

Jump to solution

Is there a list anywhere of what is and is not available by country? I am in Mexico, and I would like to get HBO, Hulu, NBC Live, CBS, etc.

However, Hulu returns a message that it is only available in the US. HBO tries to start then just returns to the title screen. NBC returns an "invalid bitrate" error.

I have no idea from the different errors if the service is unavailable or if I need to do some troubleshooting.

Of course, Roku will certainly let me pay the subscription fee before telling me that the service is unavailable.

Why are all these content providers so afraid that someone in another country is go to watch a US TV show?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: International Availability

Jump to solution

Such a list would certainly be helpful, but to be honest I doubt it could be accurately kept up to date. Roku themselves doesn't control where they channels are permitted. The channel developers have sole control over that, and they could make a change at any time without notifying Roku or anyone else. 

One usual way to tell is if the channel appears in the channel store on your device. Don't check the web site, because it doesn't list locality availability, and often lists channels that aren't available where the user is located. But if it's in the channel store on the device itself, that is usually an indicator it's available for you. I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate, but probably pretty close. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092

Jump to solution

Such a list would certainly be helpful, but to be honest I doubt it could be accurately kept up to date. Roku themselves doesn't control where they channels are permitted. The channel developers have sole control over that, and they could make a change at any time without notifying Roku or anyone else. 

One usual way to tell is if the channel appears in the channel store on your device. Don't check the web site, because it doesn't list locality availability, and often lists channels that aren't available where the user is located. But if it's in the channel store on the device itself, that is usually an indicator it's available for you. I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate, but probably pretty close. 

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
dj67
Level 7

Jump to solution

I would also like to know about availability of Roku in Mexico. I have family members that would like Roku over there, but I don't want to pay for the stick if it won't work out in Mexico. Especially if they can't get other channels. Any helpful input is appreciated. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@dj67 wrote:

I would also like to know about availability of Roku in Mexico. I have family members that would like Roku over there, but I don't want to pay for the stick if it won't work out in Mexico. Especially if they can't get other channels. Any helpful input is appreciated. 

The Roku itself will work anywhere in the world. It's the question if specific content is available that is the issue. I would first contact the provider(s) you desire to use and ask them specifically if a) their content is available in your country and b) if Roku devices are authorized to access their content in your country. Answering a) with a Yes doesn't mean that b is also true. There are many countries that content is available, but not on Roku devices. Each channel developer has the ability to restrict where their channels are available, and Roku has no ability to override that setting. 

Dan

0 Kudos