Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChromeisBetter
Streaming Star

How to fix insanely loud commercials on Hulu

Jump to solution

After several years they finally introduced surround sound for the HULU video app. But since all commercials on the app are encoded in stereo the difference in sound levels is deafening. Why is it with company it's one step forward and 3 steps back. Why isn't an audio normalize available like it is for standard OTA TV . My GF now complains to me about this when we watch TV and I have to always be on edge with the remote to my receiver.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix insanely loud commercials on Hulu

Jump to solution

@ChromeisBetter 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's commercials and functionality, you'll want to contact Hulu  support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Hulu support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ChromeisBetter 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's commercials and functionality, you'll want to contact Hulu  support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Hulu support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
ChromeisBetter
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hulu said it's a Roku issue but for once I'll side on your guy's side.

0 Kudos

Re: Insanely LOUD commericials on HULU

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response and your feedback. Based on my experience that this problem has only occurred in the Hulu app, I would tend to side with your provided conclusion, that this is a Hulu problem. 

I wonder if the Roku software team may still be able to provide a temporary patch for this version of the Hulu app? As each version of the Hulu app is rolled out, perhaps it can be updated when Hulu finally finds a solution to its own problems. 

0 Kudos
Unfers

Jump to solution

I had to look the this topic up after trying to figure out another issue with disney+ (turned out to be a disney issue.) To my dismay, Roku can't fix this. I use both a firestick and Roku and can tell you this is definitely a Hulu issue. I considered paying for Hulu without ads, but I talked myself out of it. I only watch Hulu when I'm fully committed to watching a show and can mute their ads.

BGreens
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same insanely loud commercials on YouTube TV.  (with Roku express and Roku's Normalization setting doesn't help).

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BGreens,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We recommend contacting Youtube TV directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues and functionality inquiries. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 
You can reach them here: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/?hl=en#topic=7071745 

Thanks,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BGreens
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Actually, I decided to try Hulu and the commercials on it are volume normalized for me with the Roku Express setting ON.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

What I've noticed is that the volume on the HULU commercial are normal, but the volume on the shows I like to watch are so low that I have to really turn up the volume to hear. Then the commercials come on (and there's a ton of them) and the commercial volume is so high, it's offensive. It's not the commercial volume that's high, it's the shows themselves that the volume is too low.

Deltasigzy

Jump to solution

I just switched all my audio settings on the main screen of Roku to "Stereo". Everything is now the same volume with Hulu.