Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joseph-Roku
Retired Moderator

Re: Inappropriate content on home

Hey @Natalia, we appreciate your feedback and understand how concerning inappropriate ads are. Do you mind sharing the dates and time of day you noticed these ads?

Thank you for your patience as we look into this further.

0 Kudos
Natalia
Reel Rookie

I don't know the specific day or time it was. I know I had seen it earlier in the day and then my husband saw it later that day. I wish I could be more help!

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Natalia  What you saw was what everyone saw back in 1996. You don’t see anything. This has nothing to do with Roku. This is a movie billboard, Nothing wrong with it

This?This?

0 Kudos
Joseph-Roku
Retired Moderator

Thank you @Natalia. If you notice any inappropriate ads in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out here with the time of day you noticed the ads.

We appreciate your patience while we look into this further.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I assume the ad is probably the same image that comes up if you search for the movie in the search menu - which I believe was the picture on the cover of the DVD.  (More or less as shown above but on a different background.)

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Natalia  The billboard poster for the 1996 movie “Striptease” was plastered everywhere back in 1996. In the theaters, DVD rental places and more. If it violated FCC rules then it would never have been used on billboards or DVD covers. Heck I remember seeing the poster in Blockbuster. You can’t even see her cleavage. I’ve seen worse movie billboards with women in bikinis in their cleavage all over the place. Guys with their shirts off and muscles ripped. No one complains when they see a topless guy with muscles ripped do they? NoI suppose you like this but not the Striptease billboardI suppose you like this but not the Striptease billboard

Natalia
Reel Rookie

I have a problem with all of those things. I'm not sure why you're even arguing with me about this. It's weird. Please stop talking to me. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Natalia You have a problem based on your personal beliefs. But the FCC doesn’t and Roku has no control over that. There isn’t anything wrong with it and no way to filter it. It’s a film poster. In order for something to be filtered it has to have a content rating such as G, PG or R. It’s called a Nielsen rating. Movies and shows have those. That’s why you can filter movies and shows. You cannot filter anything that doesn’t have a Nielsen rating. So if you want your Roku to show only children appropriate commercials there would have to be a Nielsen rating for those ads in commercials and  then you would select to show only G rated commercials or ads, there is no current way to do that and there won’t be for a very long time. 

0 Kudos
Nizzy

I just saw it not even 5 minutes ago. Sex Next Door. My kids don't need a front row seat for this garbage. This isn't sold ad space. It's a Roku Channel movie being advertised in the Roku home screen!!! Why is this ad allowed to be shown there? And why isn't there an option to make the home screen kid friendly. Vudu offers offers this option using common sense media. Please look into something similar.

PNWEowyn

I also just saw an Ad for "Sex Next Door" while my kids were watching a show about a video game for kids. I had to scramble to turn off the ad, which featured "live sex" near you, and a phone number to call. Absolutely horrified!! This was at 6:40pm PST on 10/3/2023. Clearly Roku has not resolved this issue!

0 Kudos