Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bimfi
Level 7

IPTV and M3u player

I have a Roku 4 and a Roku Ultra which I like a lot. I also have two LG Smart TVs. I do not have a cable subscription, so I rely on HD antenna or Streaming whenever possible. I tried utilizing the built-in IPTV apps on my TVs but they don't work so easily oe efficiently. I get a lot of buffering even though I have 1000mbps fiber internet and one of my TV's is wired (ethernet). I searched on the web for ways to use my Roku boxes to install and use IPTV but, as everyone else except  me probably knows, there is no m3u playlist player channel. I did manage to find and download the M3ublack channel but when I tried to install it, it said it was obsolete (my words, not theirs). 

Is there a way to download and install an M3u playlist player or something that will allow me to get live local TV channels? I'm guessing that Roku frowns upon this but I can't understand why. It's just frustrating not being able to find the right set up to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! 
0 Kudos
11 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: IPTV and M3u player

They deemed most iptv players as piracy and took them out of the channel store a few years back. Don't have an answer for you unfortunately.
0 Kudos
bimfi
Level 7

Re: IPTV and M3u player

Thanks for the info. It appears that Amazon Fire TV did the same also. 
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Re: IPTV and M3u player

So we only can use the ROKU for streaming paid services, is that the message?  What about streaming content from my shares on the USB port of my router or free internet sites, it's not working, there's NADA!  Won't even allow me to stream my own content from my own router, jeeze!

 Okay, so I have to find a box besides ROKU I guess, NO PROBLEM, see ya and good riddance!
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Re: IPTV and M3u player

"Chicken" wrote:
So we only can use the ROKU for streaming paid services, is that the message?  What about streaming content from my shares on the USB port of my router or free internet sites, it's not working, there's NADA!  Won't even allow me to stream my own content from my own router, jeeze!

 Okay, so I have to find a box besides ROKU I guess, NO PROBLEM, see ya and good riddance!

I stream my own content all the time.  I also stream stuff from free non paid services regularly.
Sounds like you just want to complain that you can't use some shady ipTV provider.
0 Kudos
CParker
Level 7

Re: IPTV and M3u player

I could have sworn the Roku Media Player could read m3u playlists. I’m currently using .pls playlists, but pretty sure I tested with m3u. I had my router enable DLNA on one of its USB ports. Roku found it. Then I simply made a usb Stick and plugged it into the ultra. That worked too. The media player seems functional, but it’s not a really good looking interface. But it works. And since i’m Not inclined to install a Plex server just to get a prettier face, then ... it is what it is.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: IPTV and M3u player

Yes, I use RMP all the time on multiple devices. My DLNA server mostly has PLS playlists, but I have had m3u lists in the past and they were visible as well. The problem might be the DLNA service that's built into your router. They aren't particularly powerful or feature rich, so before throwing your hands up you might try something different. With Roku players, Plex and Emby have dedicated channels that offer a user interface that offers ease of use. With RMP you can use any DLNA server. I am partial to Serviio, but I assist the developer by creating and maintaining profiles specific to Roku. There are others out there as well, some free and some you pay for. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Re: IPTV and M3u player

"twiceover" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
So we only can use the ROKU for streaming paid services, is that the message?  What about streaming content from my shares on the USB port of my router or free internet sites, it's not working, there's NADA!  Won't even allow me to stream my own content from my own router, jeeze!

 Okay, so I have to find a box besides ROKU I guess, NO PROBLEM, see ya and good riddance!

I stream my own content all the time.  I also stream stuff from free non paid services regularly.
Sounds like you just want to complain that you can't use some shady ipTV provider.



Don't blame me for Roku's shortcomings, I didn't design the product, I'm trying to use it.  Two completely different things, apparently.  And no, I'm just trying to watch the movies I paid for, even some from my Betamax that I digitized, old stuff like In Living Color and some Dirty Harry movies.

It takes a thief to call everyone else a thief.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Re: IPTV and M3u player

"atc98092" wrote:
Yes, I use RMP all the time on multiple devices. My DLNA server mostly has PLS playlists, but I have had m3u lists in the past and they were visible as well. The problem might be the DLNA service that's built into your router. They aren't particularly powerful or feature rich, so before throwing your hands up you might try something different. With Roku players, Plex and Emby have dedicated channels that offer a user interface that offers ease of use. With RMP you can use any DLNA server. I am partial to Serviio, but I assist the developer by creating and maintaining profiles specific to Roku. There are others out there as well, some free and some you pay for. 

The definition I have in my mind isn't using equipment that burns tons of coal while I'm not watching or costs me an arm and a leg to keep updating, buy it once and use it until something better comes along, which has me still using my Betamax, since Roku ain't cutting it.
0 Kudos
bwarden1
Level 7

Re: IPTV and M3u player

I use the IPTV plugln for plex and have had no problems with it, just saying.
0 Kudos