Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bisto
Reel Rookie

I have espn subscription through Roku. Out of the blue it won't let me watch live events.

I have espn subscription through roku. I have been watching US open tennis live for the last 10 days. Yesterday out of the blue it gives me the message GO TO ESPN.COM/ACTIVATE through your tv provider (I don't have cable) and won't show me any live event..

My subscription is active. Nothing changed.

Any clue?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
BigED
Reel Rookie

Re: I have espn subscription through Roku. Out of the blue it won't let me watch live events.

MY problem....exactly.  How frustrating.  And to make it worse, Roku 'contact' is...well....non-contact or worthless.  You have to wait at least 24 hours for a non-response.  

Interesting, they are always ready to take your money and when a trouble develops, you can't find them. 

Good luck to you.  I had given up TV for several months, then came back to TV; NOW I am going back to the computer and the internet.  These commercial "services" only want your money.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: I have espn subscription through Roku. Out of the blue it won't let me watch live events.

@Bisto @BigED 

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. You may need to reauthenticate the channel once you reinstall the channel.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
924smurphie
Reel Rookie

My #ESPN subscription is through #Apple  My provider is #DirectTV Stream. I cannot watch basic content. The content under the “Featured” category. Live#ESPN & #ESPN3. The paid #ESPN+ content plays no problem. Live as well as on demand. The non paid content I cannot view at all. Not live & not on demand. When I try to access the free content, I get the activate screen. The app/device is already activated bc I can watch the premium content. Also, I spoke to #ESPN support as well as #DirectTV Stream. Since the app functions in all categories on my iPhone, this is#ROKU issue. Get a clue #ROKU & offer customer support that is not some meandering path through cybers

I want to watch #Wimbledon. The only way to do so is on#ESPN. I will throw this #ROKU device right in the trash & go buy an #AppleTV or other streaming device that doesn’t tell you “your issue doesn’t qualify for support”.  WTF is that? Just seeing myself type this is making me decide to chuck #ROKU, leave my feedback in as many places as I can & buy from someone who values my patronage & doesn’t consider my support issue unworthy. �

PS. I tried removing/reinstalling app. Didn’t work. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

The iphone and the Roku run different operating systems and so the ESPN apps are different – so one ESPN app working on one platform doesn’t tell you anything about another ESPN app running on a different platform.

The ESPN app on Roku says it is written and supported by ESPN. 

ESPN/ESPN+ is a complicated beast but apparently that’s they way they (ESPN/Disney) want it to be.  Some content requires a separate subscription (ESPN+) and some content requires a TV provider – that is to say if you want it all – you pay multiple ways. 

So, when it asks you to link to your DirecTV account – maybe try that!?

Oh, another problem is that frequently accounts that are “through” one platform do not work on another platform.  Ie: an account paid for on Apple is likely not to be recognized on Roku and vice versa.  The usual way of solving that is to have your accounts with the content providers directly (ie: sign up at ESPN, not Apple or Roku) and then log-in on each device. (Another way is to only use one “kind” of device.)

0 Kudos