Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPForumDog
Level 7

Hulu w/Live TV .... when traveling with Roku

Hulu with Live TV     
.Do I have to watch on iphone or tablet when I am away from home or can I keep an extra Roku at my vacation home? 
Playstation Vue is home addressed based so I can NOT  take my Roku  (or any other streaming device) to my lake house or beach condo.   However DirectTV Now  travels well, because I can carry a Roku  and watch just like I do at my home address from anywhere in the US,.   . 
I know I can stream my tablet to the TV at my vacation home, but that can be clumsy.  I want to pay for only one  HULU account  and have one Roku at my primary residence and one Roku at my lake house. I can do this with DirectTV now, but not sure about HULU.

Thanks
DPForumDog
0 Kudos
8 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Re: Hulu w/Live TV .... when traveling with Roku

I don't see any reason why not. Hulu, unlike Sony, doesn't keep track of your location. Note: this is pure conjecture (as there is no way I'll pay money for an ad-based service), but it is based on what I know about Hulu VoD not tracking your location; the fact that you can live stream in various locations on your phone (or tablet---that's the big one) is a pretty good indicator of that.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Hulu with Live TV words things in such a way to indicate OP's fears may be justified. I just signed up -- that is, expanded Hulu from the $8/month package to the $40/month deal -- and will find out in a few days. I'll let you know what real world experience says. Unless, of course, someone else can say with authority prior to that.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"DPForumDog" wrote:
  Hulu with Live TV     
.Do I have to watch on iphone or tablet when I am away from home or can I keep an extra Roku at my vacation home? 
Playstation Vue is home addressed based so I can NOT  take my Roku  (or any other streaming device) to my lake house or beach condo.   However DirectTV Now  travels well, because I can carry a Roku  and watch just like I do at my home address from anywhere in the US,.   . 
I know I can stream my tablet to the TV at my vacation home, but that can be clumsy.  I want to pay for only one  HULU account  and have one Roku at my primary residence and one Roku at my lake house. I can do this with DirectTV now, but not sure about HULU.

You're right that PS Vue and Hulu Live TV both enforce home network restriction for streaming TV players, but make some allowances for their mobile app streaming (as well as TV Everywhere authenticated apps) in other locations.  That's why I'd also dropped both services (I still keep DTV Now, Sling and USTVNow due to grandfathered pricing as well as no home location restriction, and still have access to Xfinity Stream, SFN TV Now, and others...).  YouTube TV is currently mobile-based, so we'll see if they'll also introduce home location restriction when they start adding TV player support...

Previous post:
"beq" wrote:
Let's say I've had my mum's Roku use my Hulu on-demand subscription for the rare times when we're at her house.

I've since upgraded to a Hulu live TV subscription, and tried the "new" Hulu channel on her Roku the other day.  Blocked due to different home network location.

My question is, if I downgrade back to an on-demand sub, will my mum's Roku be able to use my Hulu account again?  Or does the "new" Hulu channel now enforce home network restriction even for on-demand subs?

My Hulu downgrade from live TV back to (commercial-free) on-demand actually took effect today on my billing cycle, and looks like the home network restriction is no longer there Smiley Happy  What's funny is that I have a nearby family member in a neighboring community who's also with the same ISP (Comcast), and they were able to test my Hulu Live TV account without triggering the prompt to change home network location.
0 Kudos
DPForumDog
Level 7

re: home network restricted? 

I have done a little more research and I am getting conflicting answers.  If anyone  can use your Roku at two different addresses and access one HULU account please let me know.     I will keep checking back!

I did find this on the HULU website which doesn't look too promising for those of us with lake houses, RVs, Beach home, camper etc.
https://help.hulu.com/s/article/ka04100 ... uage=en_US

Thanks!
0 Kudos
DPForumDog
Level 7

From Hulu's website.   

"Hooking up a TV-Connected device on your Home Network created your home location.   Using the same TV-Connected device on another network will change your Home location (which you can do only 4 times a in a 12 month period" 

So you can connect to a different network 4 times a year.    That is great if you go to the beach for a single week out of the year.   That is BAD if you have a lakehouse or beach house or RV or camper that you use more than 4 times a year.     My guess is that all those people that said it would work at multiple locations only tried it  once or twice and never go to the maxium of 4.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Yeah Hulu is pretty clear about their Live TV service having a home network location restriction for 'TV-connected devices' (as opposed to mobile devices).  Multiple FAQ entries such as:

https://help.hulu.com/en-us/where-you-c ... lu-live-tv

You can watch Hulu with Live TV from your Home network on any supported device. And when you’re out on the go, you can also watch on any supported mobile device.

Keep in mind that Hulu cannot be accessed on a TV-connected device outside of your chosen Home network. Hulu with Live TV is intended for use by a single household, and subscriptions can’t be shared.

You can watch Hulu with Live TV on supported mobile devices from anywhere within the U.S. However, you will need to return to your Home network and log in to Hulu once every 30 days in order to continue access uninterrupted. You can also use a supported mobile device to cast video to a Chromecast. Programming availability may vary depending on device and location.

https://help.hulu.com/en-us/setting-hom ... lu-live-tv

If you move, you can manually update your Home location up to 4 times during any 12 month period. If you’ve moved more frequently, don’t have a home internet connection, or are otherwise having trouble correctly setting your home location, please contact our Viewer Experience team for help.

And as you originally said, the work-around of using the mobile app to cast (Chromecast) to the vacation home TV is not as convenient.

In my own experience, the Hulu Live TV subscription did enforce this location restriction.  I had family members across town or another city test my Hulu Live TV account on their Rokus, and each time they would be prompted to change the home network location to their location (which would invalidate my own location) with a counter showing how many of the 4 location changes were left.  But I do have a closeby family member living in a neighboring community and using the same ISP as me, who was able to successfully test their Roku without triggering the location change prompt.  Not sure if it was a glitch or what.

In contrast, the Hulu on-demand subscription does not have the home location restriction even for TV-connected devices.  BUT it does have an official limit of 1 concurrent stream per account, whereas Hulu Live TV allows 2 concurrent streams (or with the Live TV Unlimited Screens add-on, you get unlimited streams at home and 3 mobile streams on the go).

Now, whether Hulu on-demand always enforces the 1 stream limit was up for debate.  Some users always seemed to encounter the limit ("another device already streaming" notification) when a 2nd device tries to stream, while others said they were only subject to it when Hulu is at peak usage.

Anyways, I wish Hulu on-demand could offer an add-on or higher tier to officially support multiple streams (like Netflix).

On the flip side I also wish Hulu Live TV could do away with the home network restriction for TV devices (something they have in common with PlayStation Vue). Other live TV services like DirecTV Now or Sling don't have the same location restriction, though I believe you must still be in the USA (sucks if your vacation home is in another country for example)?
0 Kudos
mikezak
Level 7

I am thinking of joining Hulu Live,.... My current primary home in in FL, but I am originally from Wisconsin.   How can I save my ‘home’ network location as a place in Wisconsin, so I can still obtain the local channels and regional sport networks  of Wisconsin?   Can this be done by login INT from a computer and put ‘Wisconsin’ as my ‘home’.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

"mikezak" wrote:
I am thinking of joining Hulu Live,.... My current primary home in in FL, but I am originally from Wisconsin.   How can I save my ‘home’ network location as a place in Wisconsin, so I can still obtain the local channels and regional sport networks  of Wisconsin?   Can this be done by login INT from a computer and put ‘Wisconsin’ as my ‘home’.

You cannot save (pick) your location. When you sign into the service, your connection to your ISP will be evaluated by a geolocation service and your 'home' location is set automatically.
0 Kudos