Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Proficentuser
Level 8

Hulu no longer working on Roku Ultra

The problem started immediately after the installation of the app dated 7/1/2020 when we next went to use Hulu the same day a couple hours later.

The app NEVER lets us watch a video now, there is only sound only, with a black/dark grey screen and a little bar in the middle, all the buttons on the Roku no longer work from that point on, with the exception of the home screen button.  Now the app will also bounce us out Hulu 30-40% of the time (ballpark estimation) prior to even selecting a show.

When using our Roku Ultra NONE of the shows play on Hulu regardless of which one we select, however if using a web browser on my computer the very same shows play with no problem or issues.

Yes, I did all the troubleshooting steps, including clearing the cache with the assistance of Hulu tech support via a phone call, not the chat session which I also utilized. We went through clearing the system by pressing the buttons on the Roku remote to initiate the clearing, then it rebooted. After, when the app still did not work, I unplugged the power cord and HDMI, waited five (5) minutes, reconnected everything, still, the app does not work. We also tried all the other troubleshooting steps as stated. 

I hate Amazon & Jeffy, but it looks like I/we will have to switch to the Amazon Fire Cube, after using Roku since they first started selling devices. 

Appears users are angry about the issues, and it appears when they contacted Hulu, they were told the new app Hulu upgraded is no longer compatible.

Upgrades are understandable, but NOT making a product obsolete, when ALL the other streaming apps are NOT an issue. Roku and Hulu could have set up the upgraded app to ONLY download and install on compatible units. *It is almost like Hulu and Roku got together to force the consumer to upgrade their device even if still viable, to then split the monetary gains.

11 Replies
chrisjbuffy
Level 7

Re: Hulu no longer working on Roku Ultra

I have 2 TCL TVs (one 2017 and one 2018 model) with ROKU built-in, and I'm having the exact same symptoms as of today (7/2/20). I'm guessing it'a a bug that'll be fixed, but I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people reporting this.

0 Kudos
Proficentuser
Level 8

According to some users, Hulu advised if the app no longer works on your Roku, you may need a newer model. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Proficentuser wrote:

According to some users, Hulu advised if the app no longer works on your Roku, you may need a newer model. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

That's most likely someone either trying to disparage Roku (lot of that going around, some of it deserved, such as HBO Max), or is merely clueless. Now depending on the model Roku you are using, there certainly is a chance that your player might no longer be supported. But any player developed within the last 5 years should most likely be fine. So knowing what model Roku you have would help. There shouldn't be an issue with any Roku TV, as none of them are that old. 4-5 years at the most. 

The first thing to try with any channel that is misbehaving is to remove and reinstall. However, you must follow the correct steps. You must remove the channel, then reboot the Roku, then reinstall. The reboot is mandatory, or it's never really removed. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Proficentuser
Level 8

Roku Ultra 4660x which is less than 5 years old and does not work with the updated app.

Also, Hulu had yet another update to their app 7/2/2020 which did not help, and appears to have made things worse as now you get bounced out of the app even more times.

As far a disparaging comments, yet the expletives fly.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Proficentuser wrote:

Roku Ultra 4660x which is less than 5 years old and does not work with the updated app.

Also, Hulu had yet another update to their app 7/2/2020 which did not help, and appears to have made things worse as now you get bounced out of the app even more times.

As far a disparaging comments, yet the expletives fly.

Yeah, there's no reason the 4660 shouldn't work. Sounds like Hulu messed up. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
chrisjbuffy
Level 7

In my case it was my ad-block server. Once disabled, video returned. I just need to whitelist whatever's being blocked. Good luck.

Proficentuser
Level 8

Thanks for the reply. I did change the Ad Blocker settings on my firewall, and yes the videos were playing with sound and picture, however after turning Ad Blocker back on, the video are still playing, so Hulu must have fixed something on their end.

Proficentuser
Level 8

I had removed the app & reinstalled properly but it was not working. If it is not working, & then starts working, it is on Hulu's end.

0 Kudos
Leonessa
Level 7

The ad blocker trick worked for me as well. I have an Eero with Eero plus, which includes an ad blocker. I turned the ad blocker off, video now loads. Turned it back on and it's still working.