Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astrolux88
Level 7

Hulu (and only Hulu) problems

Hello everyone:

I've had my Roku stick a little over a year now, and I stream constantly. I use Disney, HBO Go, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc.

All channels worked fine, but recently I am having huge problems with Hulu. What happens is when I load Hulu, all is fine, but once it plays it shows the "retrieving/loading" bar and I hear the ad or the show playing, but the image doesnt load right awway... it takes awhile, and then it plays fine but It has issues pausing, ffw, rewinding, etc. It works, but it takes about 30 seconds to respond and this happens with 2 roku remotes and even if I use my phone as the remote...so far I've tried the basics...

1.) Rebooted router, rebooted roku
2.) Tried different remotes (3)
3.) Ran a system update...no update found
4.) Removed Hulu app and re-added it, signed in, same issue

None of these basic steps seem to help. Anyone else having issues? It seems once I pause or ffw or even rewind, it does "respond" faster, but it never used to be like this. As I said, Netflix, HBO, Funimation, etc...all work fine. I am using an ARRIS Dual band router and the signal is fine 3-4 bars, 30x5 internet connection as far as bandwidth goes. I have a chromecast laying around and Hulu plays fine on that...

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
18 Replies
gearcrasher
Level 7

Re: Hulu (and only Hulu) problems

No help but just got Hulu a couple weeks ago and have exact same issues. So it's them not you!
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21
0 Kudos
astrolux88
Level 7

I figured. It's either Hulu or just the app in general...I am not sure what else to do. I work in tech support, so I've tried some tweaking. Changing my wifi channel, trying 5ghz, turning off wmm, powersave in the wifi settings. Trying 802.11n only, g/n only, etc. Nothing really appears to help..
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

"astrolux88" wrote:
I figured. It's either Hulu or just the app in general...I am not sure what else to do. I work in tech support, so I've tried some tweaking. Changing my wifi channel, trying 5ghz, turning off wmm, powersave in the wifi settings. Trying 802.11n only, g/n only, etc. Nothing really appears to help..

Yeah, if the problem is server-side or traffic-related, nothing you do on your side is likely to fix the problem. 
0 Kudos
astrolux88
Level 7

I noticed it works if you just pause, wait, and then resume, or fast forward/rewind, then resume, it seems more responsive, but c'mon...that's just..not normal haha. I just wish it worked well, it always has. Been a Hulu subscriber for 3+ years. As I said before, the chromecast works fine, but I HATE using the CC, Roku blows it away...
0 Kudos
Texas
Level 7

I know this is an old topic, but we've been having the Hulu issue lately too. But I think we've stumbled upon a fix. Disabling the auto-play feature on Hulu seems to have rid us of the streaming issues. Go figure.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

"Texas" wrote:
I know this is an old topic, but we've been having the Hulu issue lately too. But I think we've stumbled upon a fix. Disabling the auto-play feature on Hulu seems to have rid us of the streaming issues. Go figure.

You didn't have to post the same thing 3 times on 3 old threads...

Besides, disabling the autoplay was likely coincidental. I'm had it disabled for 4 years (and have been using the ad free version since the first day it was introduced), and still have buffering problems from time to time...EVERY app will have occasional problems. People have to learn to cope with imperfections at times rather than complain each and everytime something does not go as expected for a few minutes.

Sidenote---at least 75% of my daily streaming of circa 6-12 hours is Hulu, so I'll notice Hulu "issues" more than others just statistically.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos

Think of it like this: while your app is buffering for a few minutes you can take that time to reflect on what you have been watching or something else. If you turn a perceived negative into a positive it will help you deal with it better. So like the other guy said, people shoudnt complain about it. I am saying people should just reframe their perception of it. A positive attitude can work wonders.

Have a great day!
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.
0 Kudos
Texas
Level 7

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
"Texas" wrote:

You didn't have to post the same thing 3 times on 3 old threads...

Besides, disabling the autoplay was likely coincidental. I'm had it disabled for 4 years (and have been using the ad free version since the first day it was introduced), and still have buffering problems from time to time...EVERY app will have occasional problems. People have to learn to cope with imperfections at times rather than complain each and everytime something does not go as expected for a few minutes.

Sidenote---at least 75% of my daily streaming of circa 6-12 hours is Hulu, so I'll notice Hulu "issues" more than others just statistically.

Sorry. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers by posting in different spots. And yeah, it turned out to be coincidental. My bad. Came back to post a follow up to state just that.
This is not just a passing Hulu issue. It makes it absolutely unwatchable. It's more than an imperfection. You'd think after this being an issue for 2 years, Hulu/Roku may have figured out a solution by now. Apparently it's not that big of a deal to either of them.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

More than likely, it's "not a big deal" because it is an aberration (and Roku has no control over it...in fact 99.999% of the time if there is a problem it is on all platforms; the only differences I can detect between platforms is UI). Most people are not seeing this on a frequent basis. Just because a vocal minority complain does not mean it is widespread. People are more apt to complain than praise; it's just human nature. It's like a cop asking if anyone saw anything in a crime scene...it would be silly to say "No, I saw nothing" (in fact, if you did say that I'd assume you were lying).

Again, internet streaming is never going to be 100% perfect. And again, I watch about 50-90 hours of Hulu a week. I have (on average, not counting last week when there was a documented issue for almost a full day...and that can be expected every so often as well) maybe a few minutes a week that it "hiccups". Annoying when it happens, yes. Thinking it should never happen, ridiculous.

Note---there is a (current---this just started happening circa March 1) bug on Hulu that won't let you remove shows from the watchlist on the (Generation 3; not sure about GEN2 as I did not try it, but see below) Roku. Even removing from Xbox is a chore (but if you jump through the hoops on Xbox it is removed from all devices). However, annoyingly a program WILL autoremove if you watch the entire series.

If it IS happening to you on a regular basis, you can try a few things. Delete the app, reboot the device, and reinstall. Or reboot your modem and router. Or change the DNS on your router. If that still doesn't work, it maybe that your ISP is not playing nice with Hulu.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos