Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tmayes01
Level 7

Hulu Virus

Jump to solution

My Roku 3800 Streaming Stick is malfunctioning and seems to be possessed by Hulu. No matter what buttons I push on the remote Hulu launches. I can’t even get into Roku settings without Hulu trying to launch. I can get to search, but as soon as I start typing letters, Hulu launches. I used to subscribe to Hulu but I gave it up a few months ago in favor of YouTube TV.  If I use a voice command to try to launch anything at all, Hulu launches. Weird, weird, weird. I tried to call Roku but they wouldn’t take the call and directed me to send email, so I did. I’m waiting for a response and my streaming setup is un-usable as of now.  Can anybody offer help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Hulu Virus

Jump to solution

Does your remote have a direct-access button for Hulu?  If so, is it stuck in a partially depressed position?

Have you tried restarting your system?
Settings > System > System restart (Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

If a restart doesn't do it, try pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

If you have a mobile smart phone, have you tried installing and using the Roku app as a remote control?  Does that allow you to control the system properly?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

5 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

Does your remote have a direct-access button for Hulu?  If so, is it stuck in a partially depressed position?

Have you tried restarting your system?
Settings > System > System restart (Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

If a restart doesn't do it, try pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

If you have a mobile smart phone, have you tried installing and using the Roku app as a remote control?  Does that allow you to control the system properly?

View solution in original post

Tmayes01
Level 7

Jump to solution

As a former IT manager I can tell you that the Hulu app is toxic. After performing a customer service recommended reset all my apps were deleted.  When I selected the apps to install I made sure NOT to select Hulu.  However it still appeared on my pallet once Roku finished it’s reset. Also, Hulu tried to launch again when I cursored to the right and I thought, here we go again.  But then I used the voice command to find and launch YouTube TV and it launched successfully.  After that I pressed the Home button and returned to Roku home and then I was able to select and remove Hulu from my Roku pallet.  It appears to be working okay now. 

Thanks Customer Support for the assist but Roku should beware of the Hulu app. I believe that a Trojan horse is embedded somewhere In its code. 
0 Kudos
Tmayes01
Level 7

Jump to solution

OMG I think I need to take back everything. Last week the remote fell into the pool and after I removed the batteries and dried it out everything seemed to work fine. But then I had this Hulu bug show up. I now believe that had something to do with my problem. Thanks Makaiguy for pointing that out. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

Doing a reset, as opposed to a restart, erases everything from your Roku and you have to set it up again.  That clears your device but your channels are linked to your account, not your individual device.  Assuming you linked your Roku to your same Roku account, once the link was established it downloaded your full complement of channels. 

If you want to remove a channel you have to do it from the device, and then it will be deleted from your account and will be gone from any other Rokus you may have linked to this account.

0 Kudos
XexusNH
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem, where at random times, even pressing the arrow pad will launch Hulu.  This happens on multiple remotes and multiple Roku's and recently our new Roku Soundbar.  We've just learned to live with it.  In this age of the IoT, I'm guessing there's something in our environment that's triggering the event.

0 Kudos