Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Level 13

Re: Hulu - Pre-roll ads crashing Roku

I haven't had this problem in quite a while.  Could your problem be related to your Roku player, or, the firmware level?

FREE Windows desktop software for creating BIF (Trick Play), Direct Publisher (MRSS, JSON), and FireTV feeds @ GitHub/rrirower. No programming knowledge required.
0 Kudos
TimGraham1979
Level 8

I also have 3 4k TVs with the same software version and none of those have the behavior. 

The ad stream for the Ultra does appear to be different than the TVs though. 

All I know is that it is very irritating!  I've even done a factory reset and is still occurs.

Stretch72
Level 7

I have a Roku ultra, roku tv, roku express, and roku stick.  The ultra is the only one that crashes on ad breaks, all others work fine.

TimGraham1979
Level 8

Firmware is up to date and I have done a "Factory Reset".  Still have the problem.

Hburdett21
Level 7

I have this problem but it only happens when the “catchphrase” Hulu commercial comes on. It resets my Roku TV 9 out of 10 times! Is this a new issue?

0 Kudos
TimGraham1979
Level 8

I see it on various ads.  One thing I also notice, is that the ad countdown does not change before the crash. 

If the countdown stops, I know a crash is coming.

0 Kudos
hols24
Level 7

This has been happening to us for over a week now. So irritating. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the note.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Hulu directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Hulu channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Captainreboot
Level 7

We have two Roku ultras.  All of a sudden shows won’t load on Hulu channel and if there’s an ad or similar will crash and/ or reboot machine.  Was on tech support with Hulu for a long time.  Really they were out of ideas. Could not get Roku to email me back so far.  Can’t believe it. Tried every recommended tactic. What’s the deal?  These are both pretty new devices.  I do note that no firmware update for the rokus since February which seems like a long time for a device to be unpatched in this day and age...

TimGraham1979
Level 8

I have similar results.  I have 3 Roku TVs and none of them have this problem.  I have noticed the ad streams seem to differ between the Roku TVs and the Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos