Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Hulu - Pre-roll ads crashing Roku

I've been experiencing an intermittent problem since the latest OS update.  On occasion, when I attempt to view an episode of a show within Hulu, a pre-roll ad will display.  Once the ad is finished, the ad icon continues to display in the bottom left, the screen is blank, and the Roku is hung.  In about 30-60 seconds, the machine will reboot on its own.

I then go back to the episode I was trying to play and it works correctly.  This seems to happen on more than one Roku I own.

It appears that the reboot cleans out some offending code or memory from the machine.  There's no way for me to know if it's a Roku problem or a Hulu problem.  Either way, if it's a Hulu problem, an app should not be able to take down the entire machine.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Roku, can you look into this?

FREE Windows desktop software for creating BIF (Trick Play), Direct Publisher (MRSS, JSON), and FireTV feeds @ https://github.com/rrirower. No programming knowledge required.
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Hulu - Pre-roll ads crashing Roku

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're seeing with that channel. 

To test, I might recommend removing the channel, restarting your device, then adding it back once more to see if that helps. 

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, along with the content you observe this occurring on while watching and the ad that plays, if you can recall. I'll get this over to the team to take a look, and help work with the channel provider to resolve. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Having the same issue here.  Spent some time with Hulu support last night.  This is a known issue that was supposed to have been resolved.  The rep had to re-open the support ticket, said it should be fixed within several days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

As of yesterday, this has not been fixed.

FREE Windows desktop software for creating BIF (Trick Play), Direct Publisher (MRSS, JSON), and FireTV feeds @ https://github.com/rrirower. No programming knowledge required.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Just opened Hulu and selected "Vikings".  Roku crashed and restarted about 20 seconds later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@RokuTannerDI hope someone from Roku is taking a hard look at this, or, is working with Hulu.  This happens multiple times per day to more than just me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@Baradanikto Thanks for following up. We've passed along the feedback, and this is being investigated currently. I'll be sure to share any news that I hear.

For more help, I'd recommend following up with Hulu support directly for any additional questions and updates. 

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Baradanikto Thanks for following up. We've passed along the feedback, and this is being investigated currently. I'll be sure to share any news that I hear.

For more help, I'd recommend following up with Hulu support directly for any additional questions and updates. 

Cheers,

Tanner

Tanner

Has there been any progress on this. I am having the same issue where Hulu goes to an ad break, sometimes the ad break will restart a couple times, then give me a playback error P-ts207. This happens on both of my Roku sticks but not on my xbox or laptop. Also I have no issues with other apps so I'm assuming it's an issue with the Hulu app on the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I see this too.  Only on my Roku Ultra.  My Roku TVs do not have this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem with Hulu only. My Roku Ultra working well on all other activities. Hulu will stop playback during many of the commercial breaks. 
I’m fairly certain it’s stemming from Hulu and they must have others with the same problem. Months later they still have the problem? Shameful. 

0 Kudos