Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gipsy36
Level 7

Hulu Live local channels are not local to my area

Hoping someone can help because I'm at my wits end. I'm technical enough to get by but not a pro by any stretch of the imagination. I purchased a Roku Ultra on Cyber Monday and shortly thereafter started streaming Hulu Live.  My internet provider at the time was AT&T. This past Friday switched to Spectrum (Time Warner). They provided the modem and I purchased a router rather than renting theirs. Everything was fine Friday through Tuesday. Got up yesterday morning (Wednesday) to turn on the local news as I do every morning only that the local channels coming up were not local to my area. I called Hulu immediately and they had me use a site called ipchicken.com to locate my ip address. The tech said it was a Kansas City ip address, so I'm assuming the channels I was getting were from Kansas City, but I'm in the Dallas area.  He said it was an issue on Spectrum's end.  Called Spectrum last night and was on with them for 1-1/2 hours. Tech said it was not an issue on their end and that the modem ip address was different than what was coming up in ipchicken.com. She said it was either a NetGear or Roku issue, but likely Roku.  Going to call Roku this evening but I suspect it's going to be more finger pointing. Any idea what might be going on? 
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Hulu Live local channels are not local to my area

The IP address I'm seeing here on the forums is pointing to NY, but that's not unusual.

Definitely give CS a call, and please note the case number (request one if not provided one).  Let us know the outcome, and I can escalate the issue if necessary.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

I'm guessing someone you called would have told you this, but have you tried rebooting everything (modem, router, and Roku in that order)?

-JT
0 Kudos
gipsy36
Level 7

No, no one suggested that exact thing. One of the techs from Spectrum told me to unplug the router for half an hour, then the 2nd tech told me to unplug the Roku for a minute. None of that worked.  Of course, I wasn't too confident in the information I was getting from them. I'll try what you've suggested before I call Roku tonight.  Thank you. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

RenoJim has a good suggestion.

Let me suggest you shut down (or unplug) all the devices, then start them each, one at a time, with 2 minutes (or more) before proceeding to the next one. That would allow each one to get up to speed before Roku kicks in.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
gipsy36
Level 7

I unplugged the modem, router and Roku. Left them off for about 10 minutes then plugged in the modem first, waited a couple of minutes, then plugged in the router, waited again for several minutes then plugged the Roku back in. Unfortunately it didn't work. Still getting KC local channels. Guess it's on the phone with Roku tomorrow.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"gipsy36" wrote:
I unplugged the modem, router and Roku. Left them off for about 10 minutes then plugged in the modem first, waited a couple of minutes, then plugged in the router, waited again for several minutes then plugged the Roku back in. Unfortunately it didn't work. Still getting KC local channels. Guess it's on the phone with Roku tomorrow.

Honestly, I don't think Roku will be able to help. Spectrum is where the problem is. They are giving you the IP address and making the determination that your IP address is tied to Kansas City. Try the Spectrum app on another device type or via Browser. I bet you get the same results. I will say, the IP address I had for a while had my location in Wisconsin, but I am in Ohio. Caused problems with some streaming services.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
gipsy36
Level 7

I called Netgear a while ago and the technician had me on hold for nearly half an hour trying to figure out my issue. I think she really couldn't figure it out and kept telling it sounded like a Roku issue.  I finally asked for a supervisor and within 5 minutes of speaking to him he was able to convince me that the issue definitely appears to be with Spectrum (Time Warner).  He had me log into the router and there it gave me the internet port information which had that Kansas City IP address that was coming up in ipchicken as my IP address.  I called Spectrum again and the issue has now been escalated to their engineering department, whatever that is.  At this point I'm wondering if I made the right decision to cut the cord with cable.  
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"gipsy36" wrote:
...At this point I'm wondering if I made the right decision to cut the cord with cable.  

Once you get it resolved, consider how much the trouble was to get things right. Keep in mind you'd need Internet anyway from someone, so you'd have IP address issues with some stuff anyway, if you had Spectrum Internet. It just wouldn't be as obvious quite this soon, as you found it looking for local channels.

Once the aggravation factor is considered, and, assuming the IP address issue is resolved, consider how much the entire cost per month is: streaming vs cable.

If it's not worth it, then by all means, cable is the way to go. But, you may find that it is worth it after all.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm wondering if it might be a DNS issue.  Google or Open DNS might refine the location a bit better than Spectrum's DNS servers (caveat: this is not always true ... it really depends on your exact location, and how an ISP resolves your location).

Changing the DNS servers is relatively simplistic, provided you have that ability within the router (which is set by the ISP).  I don't recall off-hand if Spectrum allows that on their routers, but I believe they do.

If you DO change to Google or Open DNS, please record your original DNS servers BEFORE switching them out, just in case things go belly-up.  It'll save you that 20-minute on-hold call to the Spectrum Help Line Smiley Wink
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos