Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CO_Streaming
Level 7

Hulu, HBO max, Disney + crash to home screen

I was watching Disney + on my Roku TV C103X TCL model 65S425 last night when it froze, then crashed to the home screen. Now when I select the app it launches the loading splash screen for a second, then closes back to Roku home.

I then tried to launch HBO max (which I had successfully watched earlier that day) and it too showed the app splash screen for a second before closing back to Roku home.

I proceeded to test each installed app and found that Hulu also crashed one second after loading. But not all streaming apps fail. Amazon Prime, peacock, Vudu, Netflix, YouTube TV, and the YouTube app all load without issues.

I tested recommended troubleshooting steps on the Hulu app. I uninstalled it, restarted the Roku TV, reinstalled the Hulu app (I don't have Hulu installed or used on any other device so there were no other devices connected to the account), launched the app, and it still crashed to home screen.

I checked to see if there was an update for the Roku TV and each app. All were up to date.

It's odd, and extremely frustrating, that these 3 apps (and only these 3 apps) all began failing at the exact same time.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
CO_Streaming
Level 7

Re: Hulu, HBO max, Disney + crash to home screen

Oh, also it appears as though since Disney + was purchased through my Roku TV, it doesn't give the 'remove' option to uninstall it. It only lists the option to move channel, manage subscription, check for updates, give us feedback.

0 Kudos
rachet44
Level 7

I’m having the same problem with HBO Max. When we try to look through the menus it crashes back to the Roku homescreen. It’s happened several times now on two different Roku Tvs. 

0 Kudos
CO_Streaming
Level 7

For anyone with a similar issue on a TCL Roku TV of multiple apps opening the load splash screen then closing back to the home screen . . .

The only way I was able to resolve my issue was to do the unthinkable. I had to do a factory rest of my Roku TV. This required setting EVERYTHING back up as though it was a new TV. Yes, it took a long time finding/remembering login ID and passwords for all the separate services. But all in all, it worked and all my apps open and are stable (fingers crossed/knock on wood).

0 Kudos
BP-874
Level 7

I am running into the same issue - both Hulu and HBOMax are not launching anymore. Is there any other option than going back to the factory reset? 

0 Kudos
Nick8forever
Level 7

I'm having the same problem, I've already reinstalled the apps and reinstalled them after restoring the devicr

0 Kudos
Nick8forever
Level 7

I've already done a factory reset, it did nothing. I've deleted the channels and still nothing after factory resetting. It's doing the same thing and it's very irritating. This roku is a piece of garbage!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Nick8forever

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the order in which you did the troubleshooting steps? It's important that after removing the channel that you then restart/factory reset your device before adding the channel back again and trying, specifically in that order.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
nightauthor
Level 7

Is this also your recommendation for a crashing app that seems to work fine after a reboot of the roku?
I seem to always get a crash-to-homescreen when a few minutes into watching my 1 weekly show on Disney Plus, a couple of times I tried to watch the show again, same issue. On at least 3 occasions a reboot of the roku temporarily resolved the issue enough for me to get through the 30-40 minute episode before resuming my normal watching behavior (Mostly Youtube).

0 Kudos