Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Hulu Content Not Streaming Above a PG-13 Rating on Roku as an Airplay only device

I'm using Roku Premiere as a streaming only device (rental type situation, "guest mode" not a good fit for various reasons...) and for some reason, I am unable to stream anything above PG-13 rating and get a weird Airplay screen. Successfully streaming PG content from Hulu all kinds of content (R, MA, etc) from HBO Max.

As a side note, Netflix also will not stream and gives a "please use the app on your TV" message. I get that it's all built in, but why cannot I not use the device I purchased and the content I pay for in the manner I prefer?

Has anyone else encountered these issues?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Hulu Content Not Streaming Above a PG-13 Rating?

@MiaK 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify your Roku situation? Were you able to use Hulu previously without any issue? 

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Hulu Content Not Streaming Above a PG-13 Rating on Roku as an Airplay only device

Hi Danny, 

Thanks for your response - to clarify I should have said "as an Airplay only device" with minimally installed channels. I am not attempting to use the Hulu channel on my Roku, but to Airplay Hulu from my device. I have no parental controls/permissions on my Hulu account and can start any content on my device, but the Roku will only accept Airplay of PG-13 content or below (I can Airplay anything from a few other channels - HBO, Starz, 

Similarly, I am not able to Airplay Netflix at all. 

As I outlined, I understand the point of channels, but feel I should be able to use my purchased Roku and paid subscriptions in the manner I please. 

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Hulu Content Not Streaming Above a PG-13 Rating on Roku as an Airplay only device

@MiaK 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that what you are experiencing with Netflix is working as intended.

In regards to the Hulu channel that you are having issues with, we are unable to reproduce.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos