Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andregra

How to watch starplus in venezuela

Hi, I would like to know how can I see star+ with my roku device. When I look for the channel on the channel store there is not starplus

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to watch starplus in venezuela

@Andregra 

Each service or app developer determines where apps are supported. If that service hasn't approved the app for use in that country on Roku, then you don't have access to it. And where or not the service is otherwise available does not matter. They have to decide to support the app on Roku.

Roku wouldn't prevent it, but Roku allows the app developer to pick where to support an app/service.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
rlvcosta
Reel Rookie

Dear Roku team,

Looks like on all countries this is the reality.

I agreed with some other posts where Roku states you are not the responsible to provide the app on your platform, just like Google is not responsible to provide Netflix APK, but Netflix itself on Google Play.

But I push Disney locally where I received the answer the APP for Roku is similar to Disney+, and it is not available on Roku device simply based on contractual issues between Disney and Roku company.

This point back to Roku, similar a risk happen not long ago related to Youtube.

Apparently Roku is creating difficulties for this APP to be available, and it is just an administrative issue, not technical, at least not from Disney.

I push hard Disney but they did not disclosure details of this impasse. I would like to hear from Roku, since now all indicates again issues on your side!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@rlvcosta wrote:
...But I push Disney locally where I received the answer the APP for Roku is similar to Disney+, and it is not available on Roku device simply based on contractual issues between Disney and Roku company. ...

Your information is flawed.

When a developer creates an app, he chooses how that app is supported. That means the developer chooses which devices to support. For example, in the UK, BBC supports some lesser devices and not some top of the line devices such as the Ultra. The devices are capable of playing the content, but since Roku doesn't sell the top of the line devices in the UK, BBC has chosen to not support that device. Some other UK-based companies do support Roku Ultra in the UK. It is up to the developer to do this. Roku does not prevent it. Roku doesn't sell the Ultra in the UK, but neither does Roku place any roadblocks to an app working on the Ultra in the UK. The decision is totally up to the app developer.

This is also true for location. Developers choose where the device works. Netflix, for instance, works in Venezuela. That's because Netflix chooses to support their Roku app in a region where Roku is unsupported. Most companies make the choice to not support their apps in a region where Roku itself isn't supported.

Likely, as Roku is unsupported, the app developer would assume full responsibility for support, based on local laws and customs. Netflix chose to support, as Roku still allows developers to choose to support an app. Unlike Netflix, Disney chose to not. Most choose as Disney chose. But it remains the app developer choice. Any suggestion otherwise is either false, misleading, or a misunderstanding of the situation.

@rlvcostawrote:
... I would like to hear from Roku, since now all indicates again issues on your side!

On a user support forum? Unlikely you'll get a response from Roku apart from wording that means what I already told you, and directing you to contact the developer. You want more that that, your best option would be to write a letter to corporate. Then they'll likely send you a letter telling you the same thing.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
rlvcosta
Reel Rookie

Hi Roku Forum team,

First to clarify when I tried to open a new subject I was recommended to check first if some thread like this already exist on Community Forum. Then also clarifying my marked is Brazil.

But many forums exist, including request in USA, or:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Star-plus-available-on-Roku/m-p/758039#M10168...

So my main post is to clarify this occurs on every market for Star+ in Roku.

My intention is know exactly what is missing since initially I agreed with Roku position that APP provider is responsible for the availability on Roku device.

But once entering in contact with Disney, even I could not obtain details, they informed the non availability of Star+ on Roku is merely contractual.

I want to understand what is administrative contractual pendency to try to push Disney, or Roku, since as customers from both we do want to expedite this agreement.

If you can give me more information about how can I write a letter to corporate since I want to understand what is going on here.

I sent an e-mail to Disney exactly with position like I do not expect Disney is using its dominate position in some areas to exclude some large vendors to have their streaming.

I want to know which kind of agreement is missing between Roku and Disney to have Star+ available on Roku.

I already told that I agree with Roku position that Disney is responsible to provide, and eventually support, the APP on Roku platform. But once contacting Disney they inform, despite without details, that support of Star+ is pending only contractual agreements, make me question if someone from Roku can explain more details of this missing agreement. Is it some demand from Disney not acceptable, like payments?

We as consumers want to know what is pending, since both parts have strong arguments.

0 Kudos
renojim

@rlvcosta, I doubt the problem has anything to do with contracts.  Developers have a choice where to make their channel/app available - choose the regions from the list of regions Roku officially supports and/or rest of world.  I don't think anything you can say to Disney or any other provider is going to get them to allow "rest of world".  So either Roku has to officially add support for your region or change the way things are done.  The latter is probably never going to happen, but the former might given enough time.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos