Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zachlacore
Level 7

How to stop other people from connecting to roku YouTube

Okay so I live in an apartment and people are always connecting to my roku via the YouTube app on their phones. I can be watching Netflix and suddenly be taken to YouTube and watching whatever video they were wanting to watch. It's so annoying. Is there anyway I can password protect it or block it from being seen by others like I can my wifi? I would just delete the YouTube channel on my roku but we use it a lot and would just re download it. Please help I love my roku but it's getting to be a pain in my back side.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: How to stop other people from connecting to roku YouTube

It is possible, maybe even probable, that it is the "Screen mirroring" function that is causing the problem.

To turn it off go into "settings" on your Roku and then into "system" and then scroll to "Screen mirroring (beta)" and then press "OK" and choose "Disable screen mirroring."

I think for the YouTube channel to be causing the problem you would have to have the offending devices actually paired with it and the YouTube channel would have to be active on your Roku.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

1. I assume your Roku is connected to your router via WiFi - the real question is your Wireless Network password protected?
2. It could be the screen mirroring feature. However, if someone has the YouTube app installed on their phone or tablet you can just hit 'cast to' and select the Roku, providing their phone or tablet is on the same Wireless Network as the Roku.

If your WiFi Network is protected, they should not be able to cast to your Roku from their YT app.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Wasn't the case a while ago that people could cast directly to the Roku without being on the same network? I seem to remember a lot of people having this issue.
0 Kudos
Zachlacore
Level 7

Yes my wifi is protected. And I can connect to YouTube without even being on my wifi. I just tape the TV icon within the YouTube app and it connects. Even after deleting all phones paired with device.
0 Kudos
Zachlacore
Level 7

Oh and screen mirroring hasn't ever been enabled. I looked and it is disabled.
0 Kudos
Zachlacore
Level 7

I think YouTube should have you have to enter a password or pin to connect. It's a pain when you're watching a movie and next it switches to a YouTube video of "how to twerk"
0 Kudos
belltown
Level 7

It could be that a twerker has gained access to your wireless network. Double-check your network is really as secure as you think it is:

• Make sure your router's admin username is enabled then change your router's admin username and password.

• Make sure remote access to the router is disabled; my router has two settings for this: Remote GUI, and Remote Telnet.

• Change your router's network id (ssid), especially if your existing id can be used to identify you in some way (your name, apt. number, etc.)

• Make sure you are using WPA2 wireless security, rather than the less secure WEP.

• Change your network's password.

• Check your router's firewall settings.

• Make sure DMZ hosting is disabled.

• Make sure NAT is enabled.

• Make sure you have no application or port forwarding rules established that you don't really need.

• Check your router's device table to see whether there are any devices you don't recognize.
https://github.com/belltown/
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

"belltown" wrote:
It could be that a twerker has gained access to your wireless network. Double-check your network is really as secure as you think it is:

• Check your router's firewall settings.

• Make sure DMZ hosting is disabled.

• Make sure NAT is enabled.

• Make sure you have no application or port forwarding rules established that you don't really need.

All good advice, but sometimes you can't help but to change this due to other devices that need open NAT or DMZ (eg, many Xbox games). The other suggestions should prevent problems though.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
rkoextreme
Level 7

I HAVE THAT PROBLEM YOUTUBE NEEDS TO ALLOW YOU TO BE ABLE TO ENABLE/UNTENABLE CASTING FEATURE ON YOUTUBE APP.ILL BE TYPING A WORD AND ACCIDENTALLY TOUCH THE CASTING BUTTON ON MY APP AND IT CAST WHEN I DONT WANT TO.
0 Kudos