Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jess26
Level 7

How to log in to the Hbomax app

I cannot find out how to log in to the Hbomax app. I had some issues with the app and my subscription a few months ago. During my troubleshooting for this issue, I logged out of the app in the profile section. Since that time, I have not been able to log back in. 

I have tried channel updates, system updates, system restarts, removing/re-adding the channel. I have logged out all my connections thru the hbo website. I have started a show to get the login dialog box but my only option is to create a new account. However I already have an account, and trying to enter my information into the "create new account" box results in an error that the email is already in use.

There has got to be something I am missing. I can't get logged in on any of my 4 roku devices (2 roku expresses, 1 roku premiere and a roku tv). 

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to log in to the Hbomax app

@Jess26 

I don't subscribe to HBO Max, but ...

When I launch the app, and I scroll all the way down in the main window, not the menu on the left, I get a section at the bottom that says "Already Have an HBO Max Account?" with a Sign In button.

Do you not get that?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

I recently re-signed up to HBOMax ($7.50/month for 6 months), and I got a prompt about signup and login when I tried to play something. The login prompt was just below the sign up if I remember right. On a second Roku, it was already signed in when I checked it.

0 Kudos
Jess26
Level 7

First, I did not know about the scrolling all way down to find the sign in but when I do that and click Sign in, I get the same sign in screen that says verbatim "ACCOUNT FOUND, We found your account in Roku pay. Now you just need to create an account." and my only option is "Create Account". 

I too have just signed up for $7.50/mo thing but I did it thru my hbomax account because of the problems I had with it a few months ago. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Jess26 

Ah, you subscribed through Roku, not directly to HBO Max? I'm not gonna be any help at all, since I never use Roku Pay to subscribe to anything. I always subscribe directly to services, so I can use them on non-Roku devices, such as my phone, tablet, computer, or other non-Roku streaming devices. Roku Pay subscriptions can only be used on Roku devices on your Roku account.

I'm gonna back away and suggest that @RokuDanny-R or @RokuKariza-D may be best to help you in that case. They're now tagged in this thread, will be notified, and will reach out to you.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Jess26
Level 7

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. And just for the record, I subscribed thru the hbomax app on my phone, not thru roku. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Jess26 wrote:

... when I ... click Sign in, I get the same sign in screen that says verbatim "ACCOUNT FOUND, We found your account in Roku pay. Now you just need to create an account." and my only option is "Create Account" ...

@Jess26 wrote:

...I subscribed thru the hbomax app on my phone, not thru roku.

Now that is an interesting twist. HBO Max says you have a Roku Pay subscription, but you used your mobile device to create the account and subscribe? That doesn't fit.

Let's clarify a couple of things.

Can you go to https://hbomax.com/ and log in? Do you have an account there?

If not, wait on Roku folks to respond.

If you do, then you have a direct HBO Max account. You should be able to use those same credentials to log in on your Roku device within the HBO Max app.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Jess26
Level 7

Yes, I can open the hbomax site and the app on my phone and I can watch content.

And yeah that's my conundrum. Why can't I just sign in to the roku hbomax app with my existing credentials? My only option is to create a new account.

This is very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
renojim

I don't use HBO Max, but I've seen it mentioned before that if you try to play a movie/video that requires a subscription it will then prompt you for your HBO subscription.  Try playing something and let us know what happens.

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jess26
Level 7

Hi, thank you for your reply but as I have mentioned above I have tried that and the message I receive is "ACCOUNT FOUND, We found your account in Roku pay. Now you just need to create an account." and my only option is "Create Account". There is no other option for signing in to an existing account. 

0 Kudos