Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToddAndMargo
Streaming Star

How to get rid of commercials on the Roku channel?

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I do adore the Roku channel as their taste in shows is pretty good.  

Problem: I despise commercials. 

Is there a way to rid myself of the commercials?  I am more than willing to pay a reasonable amount for such, if that's what it takes.

-T

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to get rid of commercials on the Roku channel?

Jump to solution

The Roku Channel is a free service, therefore they run ads. Roku doesn't currently offer a paid ad-free version. No idea if it's under consideration, but for now you have to put up with the ads. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Roku Channel is a free service, therefore they run ads. Roku doesn't currently offer a paid ad-free version. No idea if it's under consideration, but for now you have to put up with the ads. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Kieran449
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

When I watch old retro shows, like "I dream of Jeanie", there can be several commercials not in the original commercial slot as originally intended. Too many and too long.

The original show was already made, so there should me no extra long (up to 5) commercials on a production that already made their bulk load of money back in the 60s/70's. Overhead cost should be minimal.

For 5 dollars a month, I'd pay ROKU channel to not have commercials on retro shows.

ToddAndMargo
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

If Roku won't let your out of them completly, I'd also go for $2/month to zip/fast forward across them.

Tartan

Jump to solution

Since I can't get rid of commercials is there a way to search for content that doesn't have commercials? Or would this just be the services I paid for before I bought the Roku box? 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Tartan  Any free streaming service is going to have commercials. That’s why they are free. The Roku channel, Tubi, Crackle and PlutoTV are all free and All of them have commercials. Hulu is a paid service at five dollars a month and it has commercials. So exactly what are you looking for?

Tartan

Jump to solution

So the word "Free" on the content that pops up when I do a search always means commercials? Apparently the couple who recommended Roku to me did not understand that. Unfortunately, it's too late to return the box. I should know better than to believe in magic. 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Tartan  it doesn’t matter if it’s a Roku’s, Firesticks, Chromecast, or Nvidia shield. You can get Pluto TV free on any of those devices. And it will have commercials. People pay for cable TV and there’s commercials. They’re offering you free entertainment. The commercials are paying for your free content. This has absolutely nothing to do with Roku. Even if you were using a free over the air antenna there would still be commercials. If you want something that’s completely commercial free then you can sign up for Netflix or HBO Max. It’s a true fact of life that nothing is really free

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, paid content providers – like Netflix, prime, etc. are commercial-free.  (Some, like Paramount+ have a low price/some commercials plan and a high price/no commercials plan.)

You can occasionally find some commercial-free material hiding.  For example, there are some university lectures and NPR shows on youtube that are commercial free.

There are a few channels where I haven't figured out their business model.  Some might be using the standard internet startup plan: 1) Capture eyeballs. 2) Figure something out to make money.  These often go out of business at step 2, but that doesn't stop people from enjoying them on step 1.

No, the cheap little black plastic box doesn't magically make commercials go away, or allow time travel, or make you lose weight, but it can still be useful.

Lisako76
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I would happily pay as well.   Not only are the commercials the she ones over and over,  they pay super loud!  If I watch roku in the evening I have to keep my hand on the remote mute button to hit it before they commercials wake up my son.  It's ridiculous.   Come on roku, give us a paid option!