Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PMD1013

How to get Disney + on Roku?

Jump to solution

The ROKU website is horrible especially for new users. How do I get Disney + channel on ROKU? Is it possible?

When I go to the ROKU website it says Disney + is installed but I cannot use it. I believe that I may need a subscription but when I contacted Disney they recommend that I get a Hulu box. I'm beginning to think this may be the way to go. I say this because when I contacted the ROKU people on the chat support, they did give me the Disney phone number. 

They also told me that if I had a family member who already had a subscription with Disney I could use that but then they went into passwords, login and different ways to access different accounts. It all got very confusing very quickly.

In short, can the ROKU box be used to access Disney+ ? If so, are there any written instructions?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: How to get Disney + on Roku?

Jump to solution

@PMD1013 wrote:

but I cannot use it. I believe that I may need a subscription

I think this may be the key - are you saying that you click on Disney+ on your Roku and it says you need a subscription to watch their content.  (If so, that's probably true.)

I've never heard of a "hulu box" but they may have been trying to sign you up for a hulu+disney subscription.  (Since Disney owns hulu, they probably like to bundle them.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@PMD1013 wrote:

but I cannot use it. I believe that I may need a subscription

I think this may be the key - are you saying that you click on Disney+ on your Roku and it says you need a subscription to watch their content.  (If so, that's probably true.)

I've never heard of a "hulu box" but they may have been trying to sign you up for a hulu+disney subscription.  (Since Disney owns hulu, they probably like to bundle them.)

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I've never heard of a "Hulu box" either. Just like there's no "Netflix box". 

The question is, what country are you located in? Disney+ is available on Roku, but not in all countries. It doesn't matter if Disney+ is officially available in your country. Disney has to enable it on Roku devices on a per country basis. It's not something Roku can control, only the channel provider, which in this case is Disney. 

Yes, Disney+ requires a subscription. It's not a channel that allows you any access without logging into a user account.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PMD1013

Jump to solution

I'm in continental USA. 

0 Kudos
PMD1013

Jump to solution

I think you're right. You need the Hulu for Disney. I should have done more homework before signing up for all this stuff. Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@PMD1013 wrote:

I'm in continental USA. 

Great, thanks for clarifying that. Disney+ is absolutely available here. Now, what model Roku do you have? The model number, please. Not the model name. 

Dan

atc98092

Jump to solution

@PMD1013 wrote:

I think you're right. You need the Hulu for Disney.

Nope, you don't. I don't have Hulu on my devices. Disney+ works fine on all my Roku devices. 

Dan

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ are all owned by the same company so they’d love to sell you a bundle of all of them.  But it’s not required.  (All three of these are streaming services - none of them are a device. Roku is one of the devices you can watch streaming services on.)

PMD1013

Jump to solution

I don't need all that other stuff. Just wanted to get the Disney channel for when the grand kids come over.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can get Disney+ alone.  The person you contacted was probably encouraged/required to sell you as much as possible.  There is still a subscription fee for Disney+ alone but it's less than the bundle.