Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tkme
Reel Rookie

How to fix error message 'This network is not included in your current Xfinity TV service'

I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to watch CNN on my Roku Ultra. I'm a Roku beginner. How do I fix the error message 'This network is not included in your current Xfinity TV service'?

Here is what I have done........

1. cnn.it/roku
  2. Activate your device screen. Clicked on Roku.
  3. I entered the Activation code that was on my TV screen
  4. It asked me to enter my TV service provider -- I entered Xfinity. (My home internet service provider is Comcast / Xfinity. I do NOT have any of their TV plans, only their home internet service)
  5. It asked me to log into my Comcast / Xfinity account which I did. I got a message on my screen that said "This network is not included in your current Xfinity TV service"
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: How to fix error message 'This network is not included in your current Xfinity TV service'

They want your TV provider login.  (It's kind of obvious to them that you have internet because you would need that to stream.)

ie: like many channels, they want get paid via some mechanism.  A traditional cable/sat plan, or something like SlingTV etc. is what they are looking for.

Some networks have an alternate app that allows you to pay them directly, but I'm not aware of CNN having one of those.

0 Kudos
klysiak

Re: How to fix error message 'This network is not included in your current Xfinity TV service'

Why would you need a Roku device to view CNN is you already have CNN on a cable service. Doesn't make sense. I thought the reason to get a Roku device was to "cut the cord".

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

A lot of people that buy a Roku are not cord cutters. They are merely looking for a streaming device to stream Netflix, Hulu or Prime. They still have cable TV. Myself I cut the cord about 10 years ago. I still like live TV so I use YouTube TV. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@klysiak wrote:

Why would you need a Roku device to view CNN is you already have CNN on a cable service. Doesn't make sense. I thought the reason to get a Roku device was to "cut the cord".

My mother had cable, but was being charged monthly for additional devices connected to other TVs. She got her first Roku devices and used them on those TVs, returned the $6/monthly rental devices, and was happy.

Not everyone has the same reason for using Roku devices. It made plenty of sense to her.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

@Strega wrote:

Some networks have an alternate app that allows you to pay them directly, but I'm not aware of CNN having one of those.

CNN will be launching a subscription service called CNN+ later this month.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/cnn-will-launch-later-this-month-with-an-early-price-of-2-99-month/

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@denhow 

Keep in mind that @Strega wrote that in January 2021, a full six month before CNN announced it in July 2021. His response was true and accurate at the time.

Roku used to lock threads on this board that were over six months old. This is why. Information that is accurate one year can become outdated a year or more later.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

denhow
Roku Guru

@DBDukes wrote:

@denhow 

Keep in mind that @Strega wrote that in January 2021, a full six month before CNN announced it in July 2021. His response was true and accurate at the time.

Ah sorry. I only noticed the timestamps on the more recent comments which were all from today. 

0 Kudos
gfosque

I have Xfinity TV service at my house in Mass. I pay a lot of money for its monthly service. In Maine, at my cabin where I spend 6 months, I have Spectrum internet with a Roku box. I load many Roku Channels and successfully access them on Roku because of my Xfinity cable channel access of subscriptions, However I used to view CNNgo through Roku but now, even though the (new?) CNN Channel appears to load on Roku it simply appears to crash when accessing any of its live or streaming special programs. Is the fix to my CNN Roku channel access problem that I must simply add an additional CNN subscription to my Xfinity? Pay yet more money for the same function (i.e. live CNN)? Or is it something else. Neither CNN nor Roku support explains the solution rather they provide apparently out-of-date info or mention CNN+ or whatever with an actionable info. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@gfosque wrote:

I have Xfinity TV service at my house in Mass. I pay a lot of money for its monthly service. In Maine, at my cabin where I spend 6 months, I have Spectrum internet with a Roku box. I load many Roku Channels and successfully access them on Roku because of my Xfinity cable channel access of subscriptions, However I used to view CNNgo through Roku but now, even though the (new?) CNN Channel appears to load on Roku it simply appears to crash when accessing any of its live or streaming special programs. Is the fix to my CNN Roku channel access problem that I must simply add an additional CNN subscription to my Xfinity? Pay yet more money for the same function (i.e. live CNN)? Or is it something else. Neither CNN nor Roku support explains the solution rather they provide apparently out-of-date info or mention CNN+ or whatever with an actionable info. Frustrating.

Likely, it's simply an issue with the app. That's based on your description of the app crashing. If there was an issue with authentication, you would get a message rather than a crashed app. And no, adding an additional subscription won't resolve an issue with an app.

There is no CNN+, and any reference to CNN+ is out of date. Verify the date of any reference to that ill-fated service.

You mentioned you still have cable TV. That indicates you either have a really good price for cable, or you have family members who would throw a hissy fit if they had to learn to use a different way to watch those channels. Or you haven't considered a live streaming cable-alternative service.

For example, Sling TV (either Orange or Blue plan) is $35/month and included CNN and more. It's the cheapest of the services that carries CNN. If you're paying more than net $35/month for cable, it may be worth considering to drop cable and simply stream your channels. I've been doing that for many years.

DBDukes