Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobbyDaddy
Channel Surfer

Re: Disney Plus not working - Error Code 42

Hey Everyone, 

I have a blog post here with a 2 minute video embedded that will guide you through the DNS fix.  It does work!!!  I hope this helps everyone out!

https://homebatterybank.com/step-by-step-fix-disney-not-working-on-roku-error-42/

Slowlemur
Reel Rookie

Disney Plus still not working on Roku Ultra POST-fix

I had the same issues many others had around Thanksgiving with Disney Plus on my Roku Ultra giving me the:

We're sorry, we're having trouble connecting you to the service.  Please check to see that you are still connected to the internet, and try again (Error Code 42).

Disney Plus works on other devices, so the subscription is current

Other channels work fine so it's not the internet

It looks like they rolled back the software version from 10.5.0 to something earlier and then it worked fine after that.  Recently, it seems like they are claiming they fixed the issue [Link to 'RESOLVED"] but I am seeing the issue again after this update and there is no issue to roll back.   

Tried rebooting, installing/uninstalling the channel, adjusting the DNS on the router, none of which fixed the issue.

Took an issue tracker:

Model 4670X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number YJ000V209400 (KW99A0209400)
Software Version 10.5.0 build 4208-46
Timestamp: 2021-12-11T18:38:07Z

Issue ID: 00-496-478

0 Kudos
BobbyDaddy
Channel Surfer

Re: Need help with Disney+ error code 42

Hey!  The post above should help you out! 🙂

0 Kudos
D-Caf
Reel Rookie

Just so you know, I was able to use Disney+ on my tablet and cast to my chromecast on the same network as the broken Roku.  It's DNS, once I fixed the first entry then the Roku worked just like the Tablet.  The software on the tablet (and chromecast) seem to handle the fail over for DNS while the Roku does not.

0 Kudos
Musoka
Roku Guru

Updated from build 4201 to build 4210 today and what a shock, literally none of my litany of problems created by the update to 10.5 are fixed. Disney and paramount still have network issues (likely dns rollover related). My TV tuner still shows one bar which is a real hassle when you have to readjust antenna in your area for certain channels. My ONN (TV guide still populates no information for all entries despite the system receiving program descriptions. The channel its on is displayed correctly. No changelogs for updates I can find but this fixed none of my problems. And reading others, none of theirs either. This is going to really blow up in this companies face once people start unwrapping Christmas gifts and firmware updates break what was fine out of the box. For a company valued in the BILLIONS of dollars, this has really become a months long circus. And this isn't the first time my year old set had critical issues that took five months to fix (that problem was broken tcon firmware that flashed black squares on my screen if you're curious). Do yourself a favor and look at other options. This company has lost the engineers that wrote this code or something else major is going on. Not to mention it seems to literally be only a few dozen employees running this ultra rich company. Buyer beware! 

0 Kudos
3rando
Channel Surfer

@MusokaYou're right on the money, dude, situation with this is ridiculous. I should have gone into more detail when I initially posted in page 4, but so far everything you've said is in line with my own testing. I will add that this is not specific to piholes or anything "enterprise" grade. I have no piholes (yet) in my home network, but I do have a pfsense box running. On a hunch, I dusted off an old Netgear Nighthawk I had laying around and configured with a basic setup + dhcp's lan dns list configured with a junk address for 1st dns and cloudflare's dns for 2 and 3 (1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1). And sure enough, problem immediately resurfaces. Issue is 100% the failure of roku to handle DNS rollover as it pertains to something with Disney's streaming infrastructure (which is why you see this affect only Disney owned apps like D+, ESPN, Hulu, ect). So I can't help but wonder if the issue on the lack of an official fix isn't Roku and Disney punting the problem back and forth to each other behind the scenes on who gets to fall on the grenade here, but my money is still on this being a Roku problem. The fact that this is a problem at all is one of the more hilarious design failures I think I've ever seen, professionally or otherwise. **bleep**, even *basic* devices like smart bulbs can handle dns rollover without issue.

Guys, if you're having this error pop up, hot spot the roku off your phone and test. If it works fine, then you have the DNS problem. Period. If you're in the market for a new streaming box, get a Shield TV and you won't be dealing with this **bleep**.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Disney+ still not working on Roku Ultra POST-fix

Hi @Slowlemur,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for your patience and for providing us with information.
We would recommend trying to perform a manual update on your Roku device to see if you are still experiencing the issue you are reporting.

Instructions to manually update your software:
1. Navigate to Settings
2. Select System
3. Select System update
4. Select Check now
For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How to update the software on your Roku TV™ or Roku® streaming player | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Gkulicki
Channel Surfer

Nope.  Still not working.  Disney+ still an issue.  Only app still not working.  I’m stunned that this is still a problem.  Next step??

0 Kudos
BobbyDaddy
Channel Surfer

Did you try changing your DNS on your router?  

0 Kudos
Gkulicki
Channel Surfer

I guess my response would be, why should I have to do that?  It worked fine until the new update.  

0 Kudos