Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Classic Reel channel down?

Jump to solution

Hi @Glowbaby

Thanks for the post.

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Navigate to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

If after attempting the suggestions above, you are still experiencing the same issue from a single channel while content from other channels plays fine, contact the customer support team for the channel provider to report the issue and get help. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PopsEvv

Re: Classic Reel channelendless buffering

Jump to solution

Well it’s 2021, nearly 2022, and Classic Reels constant buffering continues. It’s particularly bad on Westerns that watch.  I’m watching A Lawless Street with Randolph Scott.  It’s buffered 22 times in first 1/2 of movie.

Classic Reels owes me a refund poor service for past two years   My wife & love old movies but it’s getting hard to tak CR’s service  

do exec of CR or Roku ever few the complaints?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@PopsEvv wrote:

do exec of CR or Roku ever few the complaints?

Roku has nothing to do with it. CR provides the channel and the service. If it doesn't work correctly, they are the ones that need to resolve the problem. Roku is merely the platform that CR uses to provide their product.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
FENSTERBARON8
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm finding lately that most of the "trending" and "new" videos work fine, as does the six-hour video of the Three Stooges and the Charlie Chan vids. But I'm having a huge buffering problem with the movie titled Atomic City.  I'm curious: can anyone else watch that video without it buffering every couple of minutes? 

0 Kudos
chlojo1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I just tried watching this movie and it stalled and buffered 3 times in the first 7 minutes.  To me, it's a reason to give up.  Also the print quality was blurry and not up to standard although the aspect ratio seemed correct.  I mentioned these other factors because they affect what I'm willing to put up with when you watch something on Classic Reel.  You mentioned liking westerns.  Another word of caution for watching westerns on CR is that the majority of their western offerings originally released by Universal, and almost everything starring Audie Murphy, has been edited and Cinemascope movies are panned and scanned.  So every time I watch a western on CR, I check the original running time on IMDB first before starting.  Even well-regarded classics are mutilated in one way or another. (MY DARLING CLEMENTINE goes out of sync a half hour in and never recovers;  WARLOCK has no sound for the first 10 minutes; etc. etc.)

So yes, Classic Reel is a really mixed blessing.  You put up with it until...you don't.

0 Kudos
chlojo1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The operative word is "most" in your observation about how "new" and "trending" movies have less of the buffering problem.  I have had problems with "trending" ones recently also. 

0 Kudos
FENSTERBARON8
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I believe it.  Not sure why Classic Reels doesn't fix this.  They apparently want to be "a contender" in the streaming world, given the advertisements that they're currently showing on Roku.  But constant buffering is not exactly a selling point.

0 Kudos
Breakwater
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Dec. 16, 2021

Still buffering like mad! How many years does it take to fix this problem?

0 Kudos
Tpc1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is very frustrating just, like everyone else I experience these same problems and have been tolerating it because of the great content. Has anyone from Classic Reel or they're developer, Pure Digital, ever responded? 

Breakwater
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello,

I do have some information to pass on with respect to Classic Reel buffering.  A couple of weeks ago, I spoke with someone at Classic Reel who offered the following explanation: I'm paraphrasing here but he said that they're in the process of moving their film library onto a new server. Once the film has been moved, there is no buffering issue. Further, he said that about the first 5-10 films in each line have been moved to the new server and that all should be moved by sometime in February. That is my best understanding of what I was told. And it's true that I've watched many films on CR without a buffering issue, but buffering does still occur with many films. 

I thoroughly enjoy the CR for its commercial-free classic films. I'm unaware of another streaming channel that's comparable.

Thanks for your inquiry and I hope that helps.