Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How do I watch a limited-time stream?

Dear Friends,

We use a standard Roku device to get programming -- Netflix, Disney, Amazon, etc. -- from our desktop computer to our Panasonic TV.  I purchased the right to stream a play for 24 hours once started, and they sent me a link.  But I'm not sure how to get the signal from the computer to the TV.  Do I somehow add the link as a channel?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Stuart C.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 10

Re: How do I watch a limited-time stream?

Check if the content provider has a Roku channel and if that channel will work with your link.  Also, check the provider's website and see if they claim that they work with Roku. If so, they will likely explain how to link Roku to your purchase.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for your reply.  Here's what their FAQ page says:

If you have a cast-compatible device on the same Wi-fi network on which you have accessed the viewing page, a Cast icon will appear on your viewing page as soon as the stream has been activated.

Casting enables viewers to use either a Google Cast compatible device such as Chromecast, or an Apple AirPlay compatible device such as AppleTV, to stream video and audio content to a compatible TV or sound system. Tap the icon in the control bar to stream your content on a cast-compatible device. On The Stage does not provide technical support for issues that may arise during the casting of A Christmas Carol. If you are experiencing issue with casting, we recommend that you return to watching the stream on the native device.

If the cast button doesn't appear (see examples below of the cast button), it means there isn't a cast-compatible device on the same Wi-fi network, therefore you cannot cast the stream.

So apparently I have to enable the stream to find out if it will work, which means that my 24 hours will start running at that point.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SEC

0 Kudos
Level 19

@StuartEC wrote:

Dear Friends,

We use a standard Roku device to get programming -- Netflix, Disney, Amazon, etc. -- from our desktop computer to our Panasonic TV.  I purchased the right to stream a play for 24 hours once started, and they sent me a link.  But I'm not sure how to get the signal from the computer to the TV.  Do I somehow add the link as a channel?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Stuart C.

Are you saying you have subscriptions directly with Netflix, etc. that you can view in several ways, on your TV, on your Roku, etc., but this concert is something you'll be viewing via the web browser on your desktop and you want to be able to send it to your Roku?

You don't have to wait for that concert to play around with this - see if you can get stuff you're viewing on your web browser (from YouTube for instance) to cast to the Roku, or even directly to the TV if it's equipped for it. 

I've never had any luck casting from my Windows desktop - apparently it is not equipped for Miracast.  I CAN mirror the screen from my Android phone and tablet on the Roku.  On my Samsung phone this feature is called "Smart View", on my Lenovo tablet it's "Screen Cast"; in either case it's activated in the phone's/tablet's Settings.  On the Roku you have to set this up via Settings > Screen mirroring.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos