Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TEEH_DRV
Level 7

How can I add paid channels in Roku, is there a list somewhere?

Hi, I live in Venezuela and have the Roku Express, Direct TV is not offering their service anymore and now it is called Simple TV, I would like to know if I can suscribe to paid channels such as History, Discovery, HBO, Cinemax or others paying for them, is there a list where I can check the channels options, best regard. (I already have Netflix and Amazon Fire stick.)

Regards 

TEEH

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How can I add paid channels in Roku, is there a list somewhere?

If you look at the Channel Store on the device itself, you will see all channels available in your location. Yes, you might see History, Discovery, HBO, Cinemax or others available, but be aware that some do not have a direct subscription but instead require you to have a cable/satellite service that includes that channel. But some will offer direct subscription.

There's also the option of subscribing to a provider such as YouTube TV or Sling. I don't know if they are available in your country, but if they are you can get many of those channels with a single subscription.

At the moment, the HBO channel on Roku devices does not include items that are only available through HBO Max. AT&T and Roku are still negotiating to add Max to Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TEEH_DRV
Level 7

Thanks very much for your help. I have been looking everywhere in the menu and the on Roku and it seems there ain't good movie channels, probably due to my country, just channels with very old movies, I think there is still a long way for Roku to approach Netflix or Amazon, I have both and at least sometimes you can find some almost recent movies. Somebody told me to install a VPN and probably this could bypass the restrictions but really don't know how to do this in the Samsung Smart TV. There is also another doubt with Roku, I have been offered a Roku Premium but the seller didn't know the difference with the Roku Express which I have, it's about 10 $ higher than the one I have but don't know if it is worth to buy it.

Regards 

TEEH 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@TEEH_DRV wrote:

Thanks very much for your help. I have been looking everywhere in the menu and the on Roku and it seems there ain't good movie channels, probably due to my country, just channels with very old movies, I think there is still a long way for Roku to approach Netflix or Amazon, I have both and at least sometimes you can find some almost recent movies. Somebody told me to install a VPN and probably this could bypass the restrictions but really don't know how to do this in the Samsung Smart TV. There is also another doubt with Roku, I have been offered a Roku Premium but the seller didn't know the difference with the Roku Express which I have, it's about 10 $ higher than the one I have but don't know if it is worth to buy it.

You can't compare Roku to a provider such as Netflix or Amazon. That's not their role. They provide the platform and others, such as Netflix, offers the content. In the US they do offer The Roku Channel, that provides some content, but in general Roku is simply the platform. I believe your point about where you are located is the sticking point. Some of the majors are probably just not available there. 

Roku doesn't sell a player called Premium, but they do have the Premiere. There is a significant difference between the two, starting with the Premiere being 4K. It also has a bit better WiFi and more memory, so in general should perform better. I personally don't recommend the Express, as many users have WiFi connectivity issues with it. I have an older model Premiere that has always worked flawlessly, and set up a newer one for my sister-in-law, and it too has been fine. 

Discussing VPN use to bypass regional restrictions is not permitted on this forum. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos