Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: youtube without ads WITH YOUTUBE PREMIUM

Jump to solution

That's why I've never subscribed. While I do enjoy watching some YouTube content, none of it is worth $12 a month to me to skip the ads. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Dualeieio

I just don't know what Google's value proposition is here. $12/mth for a bunch of low budget content? It's like asking me to pay $12/mth to watch the public access channel on cable.

Personally, I think Roku can put a rider in their app agreement about number and length of commercials. I don't feel like Google will have much to say about it considering they're already engaging in anti-competitive business practices.

0 Kudos
Dualeieio
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

well, despite me not really understanding the value proposition is, as you mentioned, i do have one current example that i'm going through:

i'm watching the Jack Whitehall Travels with My Father on Netflix.  

fine.

since i am enjoying that, a friend told me that Jack Whitehall is actually a successful stand up comic.  i am curious so i just went to youtube to try to see how much content he has on youtube.  well, he has over 100 videos!  i watched merely several minutes of the first video on the list, and oddly, i got ZERO ads before the video started!  i'm amazed.

i have a feeling that Google KNOWS that i am considering the Youtube Premium subscription, as i went to that Youtube Premium subscription page a little while ago, and so Google is tempting me with:  hey, you see, THIS is what you can have!  hah!

do you think it's likely that Google actually knew i am considering youtube premium and is giving me a taste?

scary.

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I you're on an Android phone they're listening to everything you say and type. They definitely use that functionality to push ads.

0 Kudos
Jumper5
Channel Surfer

Re: How To Block YouTube Ads On Roku

Jump to solution

I have the same experience as PSlacker: many more adds on the Roku YouTube app than on the YouTube app on my tablet.  I counted: I get an ad almost once every 3 minutes on the Roku YouTube app.  What the heck  ...  The YouTube app itself is nowhere that often.  And also using the YouTube website on my Win 10 laptop, nowhere near that often.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Jumper5 It's completely controlled by Google. If I had to guess (and wanted to blame a conspiracy) I'd say Google is doing it to subtlety nudge people into buying a Chromecast from them instead of using some other brand player. It's the reason I use my Shield for YouTube, and use an app that blocks all ads. It's unfortunate there's no equivalent channel for Roku devices, but it would likely not meet Roku's standards and wouldn't be allowed. 

Dan

Jumper5
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

2) follow the advice of "Cpt1nsano":     

Start with Roku Settings

Tap on the Settings option in your Roku home screen.

Next, tap on Privacy, and choose Advertising.

Then you need to tick the box next to Limit Ad Tracking.

Finally, restart your Roku device.

--------------

That's from creature earlier in the thread.  I did this, and it seems to have stopped having to click past an ad every 3 min.  Thanks! 

0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I found that more is needed if YouTube on Roku decides it is time to hit you with more ads:

In addition to Limit ad tracking, also click Reset advertising identifier (located in the same Roku Settings menu)

Next, in the YouTube app itself, make sure the icon in the upper left corner says "Sign in" under it.  If it doesn't then select the upper right icon to then choose to log out of each account.  Make sure you are only a "guest" of YouTube.

Next, also in the YouTube app itself, go down to the Settings icon (the gear) and then under Link TV & Phone should be "Linked Device."  Once you highlight that menu item, it should say "There are no devices linked to this device."  Otherwise unlink all devices.

Then, also under Settings, go to the History & Data section and "Clear watch history" and "Clear search history."  Also in the same section, go to "Improve YouTube' and set it to Off.

Doing all of this does *NOT* block ads but I find after doing all this the ads are just as frequent on Roku as they are in Chrome on a computer.

As a side note, some YouTube videos have ads more frequently than others.  If an YouTube video on Roku has ads every 3 minutes then watching the same exact video on Windows 10 will also be every 3 minutes.  If it really is more frequent on Roku then try everything I suggested above.

atc98092

Jump to solution

There is no setting you can make in a Roku device to reduce/block ads on YouTube. Settings outside a channel can have little relevance within the channel itself. Google owns YouTube, and they have complete control of the ads within the YouTube Channel. No Roku setting will change that. There are apps you can install on Android based players that can block the ads, but Roku devices are not Android based. On a Roku, you’re stuck with whatever Google streams to you.

Dan

fluke
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

There is no setting you can make in a Roku device to reduce/block ads on YouTube. Settings outside a channel can have little relevance within the channel itself. Google owns YouTube, and they have complete control of the ads within the YouTube Channel. No Roku setting will change that. There are apps you can install on Android based players that can block the ads, but Roku devices are not Android based. On a Roku, you’re stuck with whatever Google streams to you.

I think that should normally be true.

The only way to block ads is to pay for YouTube Premium.

In terms of reducing ads, I feel YouTube for Roku gets second rate quality assurance testing and that there have been bugs with user tracking which resulted in more frequent ads.  Clearing out *ALL* of that tracking does seem to make a difference.

I also think there is some psychology games going on in some cases.  If you watch a video that a creator didn't mark for monetization on Windows 10 and then watch a video with frequent monetization on Roku, it is easy to convince yourself that it is Roku that is causing the more frequent ads instead of the specific video.  I also think when watching YouTube on TV it is easier to notice the ads than on a computer were you might also have another program open at the same time to also divide your attention.

But again, despite all of the self-deception that might take place, I do also believe some version of YouTube for Roku by Google/Alphabet has had tracking bugs to make ads on the platform more aggressive in one way or another until the tracking is fully removed. 

0 Kudos