Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EddiePadre
Binge Watcher

Re: How To Block YouTube Ads On Roku

Jump to solution

Dan, I am tell that Roku cannot remove ads, only Android ones can. I never said that Roku doesn't run Android.

0 Kudos
EddiePadre
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am telling  that Roku cannot remove ads, only Android system in other streaming devices can. I know that Roku doesn't run Android.

Amarcuzzi

Jump to solution

On my 3rd generation Apple TV, the advertisement appears only at the beginning of the video. On the Roku Ultra, initially and then every 5 minutes

0 Kudos
EddiePadre
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, in Roku YouTube is a great problem with ads, every 5 minutes.

0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Amarcuzzi wrote:

On my 3rd generation Apple TV, the advertisement appears only at the beginning of the video. On the Roku Ultra, initially and then every 5 minutes

Majority of sales for 3rd gen took place over 6 years ago?  The 3rd gen was discontinued and replaced 5 years ago.

I am guessing Alphabet Inc crunched the numbers and decided it wasn't worth trying to change anything.

If Apple tried to force similar behavior for 5th generation devices, I think Alphabet Inc. would take "corrective" action.  They have already taken action against Microsoft in the past.

As to videos coming up every 5 minutes, I have only seen that when watching short videos such as 10 minutes in length.  YouTube seems dedicated to play an ad at the half way point.

Ultimately, I don't think promoting ad skipping tools will work in the long term.  It will just be a cat and mouse game.  Rather we need to be asking for more alternatives to YouTube.  I think it is the lack of competition that is resulting in the aggressive behavior on the part of YouTube.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@EddiePadre wrote:

Yes, in Roku YouTube is a great problem with ads, every 5 minutes.

Take it up with Google. Roku has no control over what is streaming via the YouTube channel. Google wants you to subscribe to YouTube, and in exchange for your money they remove the ads. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Then

Jump to solution

I use a Chromebook and have Adblock for YouTube installed. When I use the “Play on TV” button in the browser, and connect to my Roku, it plays the video without ads.

You have to use the browser to control what videos play, which might be inconvenient, but it gets rid of the ads. Pick your poison, I guess.

EddiePadre
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What you do is that you are using the chromebook with the Roku website with the adblock but it is the chromebook signal that receives the final objective, in win10 it can be done as well. I only mean Roku the box, it is impossible, not like the Amazon Stick and the new Chromecast with Google TV that you can also do that without having a pc or chromebook. The concept is different.

creature

Jump to solution

HOLY **bleep** THANK YOU!   

1) you have to be youtube premium already,

2) follow the advice of "Cpt1nsano":     

Start with Roku Settings

1. Tap on the Settings option in your Roku home screen.
  2. Next, tap on Privacy, and choose Advertising.
  3. Then you need to tick the box next to Limit Ad Tracking.
  4. Finally, restart your Roku device.
TimDSM

Jump to solution

I recently got a new Roku 4K and noticed the adds on YouTube blew up. I wasn't getting near the adds on my older Roku device. I get the business end of this and appreciate YouTube. I'm sure the strategy here is a monthly membership to eliminate the annoyance. Creative business strategy. Another streaming device wanting there $5-10 a month piece of the pie. - Irrelevant, Inappropriate, Repetitive. All the above !