Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DocRoot
Level 10

Hopster channel has "suddenly" appeared on Roku Express?

Jump to solution
I've just noticed that a channel called "Hopster" has appeared on my Roku Express device?! I'm wondering how this channel could have seemingly "auto-installed" itself? Could this have been installed with the recent update to OS 10?!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hopster channel has "suddenly" appeared on Roku Express?

Jump to solution

Are you using one of those screensavers with things scrolling by including ads for other channels?  Never use Play/Pause or Select/OK to dismiss a screensaver.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3\
renojim

Jump to solution

Are you using one of those screensavers with things scrolling by including ads for other channels?  Never use Play/Pause or Select/OK to dismiss a screensaver.

DocRoot
Level 10

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

Ah, that could be it! Thanks. And those ads that appear on the main screen as well?! So, accidentally clicking an ad when fumbling with the controller can install a channel without any additional prompts?!
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Yep, pretty annoying isn't it?  You have to make sure whenever you pick up the remote Play/Pause (and possibly OK/Select) is not the first button you press.

There is a way to prevent these unwanted channels from automatically installing.  Change your PIN preferences to always require a PIN before installing a channel:
https://my.roku.com/account/pin