Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kavadog
Level 7

Home screen tears after Google Play Movies

I have a Roku Ultra and a Roku Streaming Stick+ with the latest software as of today 8/10/16.    Both units show screen tearing in all of the Roku menu screens.    It is very obvious and easy to reproduce by doing the following...

1) Play any movie on the Google Play Movies channel.
2) Hit the Home button to stop the movie and return to the Roku home screen
3) Go down to Settings
4) Go into Display Type
5) Scroll down thru the list of types and notice the tearing effects (this repo's everytime)
6) Go back to the Home screen and simply navigate around and notice the tearing effects (this repo's sometimes)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Home screen tears after Google Play Movies

One thing before we start: always list the exact software and build you have. "The latest" for one person may not be the same for someone else. This is true from the time a new version is released until Roku rolls it out to all users. You see, not everyone gets the newest version at the same time. On one of my devices, I usually get the new version within a week, while on another, it's usually a few weeks later. So, always spell out the version you have. Never say "the latest." Having said that, I suspect Roku has finished rolling it out, meaning you have 8.1.0 build 4145-xx

Using a Roku Ultra with 8.1.0 build 4145-46, I'm able replicate the flashing and jittering (you called it "tear") after exiting Google Play Movies & TV with a movie playing. I note also that entering another app, not necessarily playing anything in the second app, will stop the issue when I return to the menu.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
kavadog
Level 7

My repro is on Roku Ultra with 8.1.0 build 4145-46
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 7

I'm able to reproduce this bug using my Ultra 4640 software 8.1.0 build 4145-29.  The graphic tearing/jitter seems to be most pronounced scrolling through the My Feed section, but there seems to be at least minor flickering/jitter in all menus of the home screen.  Opening and exiting another app also eliminates the graphic jitter for me.

I had a similar sort of situation in the past where, after streaming Pandora for at least a few hours and exiting to the home screen, the channel icons would be garbled or empty.  I thought this might be occurring because of the internal temp. after hours of streaming music.  However, simply opening and closing an app would eliminate the graphic artifacts in this case, too.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I too had noticed similar glitch with the Viki app in the past. When I launched the app on family Roku's (to login), then exited, the home screen display would have those issues -- until I restart or launch another app (which can be a bit difficult to navigate with the screen messing up).

But the Viki app had since been updated to fix the issue.
0 Kudos