Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Hitachi 43R80 Roku TV -- On Air Channel Issues

I purchased this TV back in December from Sam's Club.  Everything worked fine up until recently.  We got rid of cable and went with just streaming content and over-the-air channels.  On June 25, my wife had been having trouble streaming and updated the Roku TV software.  After that update, we could no longer pick up ANY over-the-air channels.  The streaming content was and still is perfectly fine.  However, after doing multiple channel scans, there are 16 channels found, but absolutely none of them get a signal.  

I called Hitachi.  They blamed the Roku software update and referred me to Roku.  

I just spent almost an hour on the online chat.  The first thing Roku said was to contact Hitachi.  (Oh geez, here we go...) After going back and forth answering dumb questions like "what kind of antenna are you using" and "are you sure you have your antenna plugged in correctly (the answers:  IRRELEVANT, and YES!) they had me bring up an Issue ID number on the screen (86-267-908)

At that point they told me that "we will send the case for investigation and we will get back to you via email."  

What I want to know:  is this a Hitachi issue with the TV tuner or the TV itself, or has the Roku software update that my wife did on June 25 totally screwed up our capability to receive over-the-air channels?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Hitachi 43R80 Roku TV -- On Air Channel Issues

What type.of antenna is it, powered or unpowered? Is there another antenna you could try, just to rule out the antenna being the issue (start with the cheapest part first when troubleshooting).. I'd make sure the antenna, if it's powered, is getting power, and make sure that it works with other TV's (if you can).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

"jeffrok" wrote:
What type.of antenna is it, powered or unpowered? Is there another antenna you could try, just to rule out the antenna being the issue (start with the cheapest part first when troubleshooting).. I'd make sure the antenna, if it's powered, is getting power, and make sure that it works with other TV's (if you can).

It's just a cheap flat type of plastic "mousepad" looking antenna indoor antenna, not powered.  All three antennas that I've tried work fine on other TV's...so I'm convinced that it's either a software glitch, or the TV tuner suddenly turned to s___ when my wife did the software update.  It wouldn't be the first time that a software update has screwed up my technology world. 
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@genxrailmedia 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About, the software version & build that the TV is currently running. Please also include additional specific details about the issue you're observing: 

- When did the issue first start occurring?
- How was the antenna configured on your TV prior to the issue you described? (How was it connected, what did you choose on the Roku home screen to watch these channels? 
- What options have you tried to re-scan for channels? 
- Are you able to watch any channels after re-scanning? 

With more information, we can help look into the issue further. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
@genxrailmedia 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About, the software version & build that the TV is currently running. Please also include additional specific details about the issue you're observing: 

- When did the issue first start occurring?
- How was the antenna configured on your TV prior to the issue you described? (How was it connected, what did you choose on the Roku home screen to watch these channels? 
- What options have you tried to re-scan for channels? 
- Are you able to watch any channels after re-scanning? 

With more information, we can help look into the issue further. 

Thanks! 
Tanner

Yes, I will be in touch...thank you.
0 Kudos
msand2222
Level 7

We just started experiencing a similar issue yesterday (7/12/2019).  After much head scratching, we found that removing the generic usb memory stick we had in the back of our Roku TV, which is used for recording/playback for the on-air antenna tv channels, cleared up the problem, the channels then displayed properly.  It had been working fine for the past 8 months or so, and suddenly yesterday afternoon after turning on the TV, noticed the antenna tv channels showed a blank screen, (although the channel info at the bottom of the screen still displayed, just no picture).
We suspect it was/is in fact a software update issued with Roku, since the memory stick is fine, it can still actually record and playback the live on-air channels for display, so we know its receiving a signal, but cannot in fact display the on-air channels live. Once the memory stick was removed the on-air channels displayed fine.  It appears that for some reason, the latest Roku software is preventing displaying of the live on-air channels.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. I have a few additional questions here to help better understand the issue: 

- Did the USB flash drive and standard OTA channel viewing functionality work correctly prior? 
- What brand/model of USB flash drive were you using with your TV? 
- What specific make/model of Roku TV do you own? (Is is the same as the original topic author's?) 
- Have you tried reformatting or reinserting the USB flash drive, and is it functioning normally once more? 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
msand2222
Level 7

1) yes, as I mentioned above, it had been working for a number of months (maybe not as long as 8 as I mentioned, but probably at least 4 months)
2) USB flash drive brand: Gigastone 16GB
3) Roku TV model:  TCL 43S405  I don't know if its the same one as the original author of this topic
4) I did remove and re-insert the USB flash drive several times, but it still does not function; and no, I didn't try re-formatting it.

Just to reiterate, everything worked fine until 7/12/2019.  
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@msand2222

Thanks for clarifying. 

You mentioned that, "...it can still actually record and playback the live on-air channels for display, so we know its receiving a signal, but cannot in fact display the on-air channels live." Are you able to view recorded content by rewinding on a specific channel, or how are you able to view the content? 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
msand2222
Level 7

@Tanner - yes, while the usb flash drive is in, (while no live picture displays, only the caption at the bottom) after the channel is on for a minute or so, if we then use the rewind button on our roku remote, and then hit the fast forward button, we could see the individual still frames as we fast-forwarded  (the play button doesn't display anything).  That's how we know it is receiving the channel - (we also know this because at one point, we did a complete re-scan for channels while the usb drive was in, and was able to get the full complement of channels available in my neighborhood.)  Once the recording is played back, its back to a blank/black screen, until we remove the usb drive at which point the live tv displays.
0 Kudos