Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akent35
Level 10

Help With YOuTube

We have a Samsung 46" HD TV (not a Smart TV).  Prior to Saturday (and still), we have our TV service through XFinity/Comcast.  Using their remote, we can get to a menu that offers Netflix, YouTube, and some others.  For YouTube, we have been able to "set it up" to immediately display a full screen list of Korean Dramas/Movies (can scroll down for more).  The same is true with our larger Samsung 65" Smart TV (for that one, we can get to YouTube with either the SmartHub Samsung includes with that TV, or (just like our other TV) the Comcast/Xfinity remote.

The other day we received a Roku 4661R device.  Connected it to the 46" TV, successfully went through the set up, and added YouTube.  But when we select YouTube, it shows Recommended "stuff".  Also, when we do a search of Korean Dramas, the next screen that appears still contains the search "keypad", and a one row, horizontal list of Korean Dramas.  To see more of them, it is necessary to scroll horizontally.

I looked through the settings of both Roku and YouTube, but could not see anything.  So, what I'd like to have happen is:

1.  When YouTube is selected, do not have "Recommended" appear.  Instead, have the "list" of Korean dramas appear.

2.  For that list of Korean dramas, need to have then fill the entire screen, and also let us scroll at least vertically for more.

Thank You,
Arthur M. Kent
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Help With YOuTube

"akent35" wrote:
We have a Samsung 46" HD TV (not a Smart TV).  Prior to Saturday (and still), we have our TV service through XFinity/Comcast.  Using their remote, we can get to a menu that offers Netflix, YouTube, and some others.  For YouTube, we have been able to "set it up" to immediately display a full screen list of Korean Dramas/Movies (can scroll down for more).  The same is true with our larger Samsung 65" Smart TV (for that one, we can get to YouTube with either the SmartHub Samsung includes with that TV, or (just like our other TV) the Comcast/Xfinity remote.

The other day we received a Roku 4661R device.  Connected it to the 46" TV, successfully went through the set up, and added YouTube.  But when we select YouTube, it shows Recommended "stuff".  Also, when we do a search of Korean Dramas, the next screen that appears still contains the search "keypad", and a one row, horizontal list of Korean Dramas.  To see more of them, it is necessary to scroll horizontally.

I looked through the settings of both Roku and YouTube, but could not see anything.  So, what I'd like to have happen is:

1.  When YouTube is selected, do not have "Recommended" appear.  Instead, have the "list" of Korean dramas appear.

2.  For that list of Korean dramas, need to have then fill the entire screen, and also let us scroll at least vertically for more.

Thank You,
Arthur M. Kent

Do you have a Google account, and have you logged into YouTube with it? If not, your subscriptions will not carry over between devices. I can move between different Roku devices, Smart TVs and my Shield, and YouTube keeps the same subscriptions across all of them. But you always see Recommended as the first row viewed. That's just the way the app works. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

First of all, we do not subscribe to anything on YouTube.  On our TVs, we are using it "as is".

Secondly, I do have a google/gmail account.  But don't see how that makes a difference.  I just know that when I "played" with YouTube on both of our TVs, I was able to 1) get rid of "Recommended" as the "default" choice, and 2) have Korean drama videos, and Korean Movies, appear in a "vertical" fashion, and without the search "keypad".

What is baffling is that for the Comcast "version" of YouTube (from their "store"), and for the version "contained" with the Samsung SMART TV and the SmatHub, I can do the things I requested.  Can't understand why it is different with the Roku "version" of YouTube.  

Here is a better explanation.  For the Samsung 46" HD TV, we still have the rented Comcast/Xfinity box, along with their remote.  Using that hardware, YouTube, via the Comcast "store", functions like I want it to.  But when I disconnect the Comcast box, and connect the Roku box, YouTube, via the Roku "store", does not work the way I want it to.

For the downstairs Samsung 65" TV, whether it's the Comcast box/remote or the SmartHub device, YouTube works the way I want it to.

Again, it is just baffling why this is different, and definitely frustrating!  As it is, I did look at YouTube and Roku settings, but nothing seemed to cover this.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Secondly, I do have a google/gmail account.  But don't see how that makes a difference.

YouTube is owned by Google, signing into YouTube with your Google account should carry all your settings over to whatever device you're using, so you might try signing into the Comcast YouTube app and then sign into YouTube on the Roku app and see if that changes the behavior within the Roku app, but i agree with atc98092, i've never seen the layout you're describing on the Roku app, so it may be isolated to the Comcast app.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yeah, it's sounding like the YouTube app on the cable box had some sort of custom front end. It doesn't sound like any I've ever seen on my Rokus, Smart TVs or Blu Ray player apps. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

I solved it!  What I needed to do was to "link" my Roku device with my Google account "settings".  Basically, I needed to go to the site youtube.com/activate, and enter the 8 letter "code" that the Roku "software" provided.  I then selected my google account.  All is well!

They always say "It is always something simple".  I guess it's been so long since I did that with our Samsung TVs, and it makes no difference which "input" device one uses: Roku, Comcast, or Samsung SmartHub.

Thanks everyone for you help.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

That's why I asked if you had logged in  8-)
Dan
0 Kudos