Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KGreen1313
Reel Rookie

Help! Screen stuck on "use accessibility shortcut: screen

help!!!  my in-laws "hit something" on our remote, and now the screen is stuck on this - with the remote we can still fully control the Roku in the background, but cant get to the question box to select either answer and make it go away - going to the accessibility settings doesn't help to clear the box from the screen, nor does turning off the TV, unplugging the roku, or re-setting the system. 

Tried to post a picture with this post but it won't let me upload it - the box says "Use accessibility shortcut?" as the title of the message, then has info about pushing the mute button to enable the screen reader.  Then at the bottom it has two choices  to toggle between, "turn off shortcut" or "use shortcut" but we can't get to the box to toggle between those choices.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Help! Screen stuck on "use accessibility shortcut: screen

These things are just special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes clearing things out by restarting them is all it needs.

Restart via Settings > System > System restart (Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

If a restart doesn't do it, try pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
KGreen1313
Reel Rookie

Thanks so much for the reply!  tried both of those things, didn't clear it.  What is very strange is that even with the Roku unplugged (I disconnected the power, and also disconnected the HDMI from the television as well), The box remains there - it doesn't even go away during the re-set, the reset happens in the background, but the white text box with the message stays there the whole time.IMG_5098.jpg

makaiguy

I've never seen a dialog like that. Perhaps it's coming from your TV rather than your Roku. Try following those instructions on your TV remote rather than your Roku remote.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

makaiguy

Is this a Sony TV? See: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00232484

KGreen1313
Reel Rookie

That was 100% it!!!  I so appreciate your help, thank you

fiftyplanotv
Reel Rookie

Fyi to chime in. For me, the Roku mute button on the side keeps triggering this accessibility shortcut. I never configured that to trigger my tv (Samsung). None of my other remotes did that. Very annoying.