Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmhughes1
Level 7

Having to buy extra channels in order to finish watching a series

Jump to solution

I've been watching a multi season program called Heartland. It was on the Roku channel to begin with but on June 15th I was told I had to join and pay for the Faith and Family channel to continue watching which I did and now I'm being told I have to join and pay for the Hallmark Movie Channel to continue watching. I'm beginning to think this is a scam. How many more channels will I be forced to buy if I want to finish this program?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Having to buy extra channels in order to finish watching a series

Jump to solution

When Roku (or any other provider that does not own the content) sign licensing agreements with the content owners, there are generally restrictions on what content is made available and for how long. You might see only some episodes of a specific season, rather than every episode. If it's a scam, it's being done by the content owners, not Roku. Only they control who can stream their content and exactly what content is available. It's possible that the content owner already has a licensing agreement with Faith and Family, Hallmark, or even some other entity. And because of those agreements they cannot allow Roku to stream the entire series. This happens with many different providers. I've seen the same happen with Netflix and Prime Video, where they were missing episodes or even complete seasons of TV shows. It's all controlled by the content owners.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Having to buy extra channels in order to finish watching a series

Jump to solution

When Roku (or any other provider that does not own the content) sign licensing agreements with the content owners, there are generally restrictions on what content is made available and for how long. You might see only some episodes of a specific season, rather than every episode. If it's a scam, it's being done by the content owners, not Roku. Only they control who can stream their content and exactly what content is available. It's possible that the content owner already has a licensing agreement with Faith and Family, Hallmark, or even some other entity. And because of those agreements they cannot allow Roku to stream the entire series. This happens with many different providers. I've seen the same happen with Netflix and Prime Video, where they were missing episodes or even complete seasons of TV shows. It's all controlled by the content owners.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.