Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bru20
Level 8

Have to resign in too often

I am getting tired of constantly having to resign in to Roku channels. This has been discussed many times on this forum and AFAICT there has never been a clear reason as to why sometimes I can stay signed in for weeks or longer and other times almost every time I go to watch a channel I get an error and have to sign out and resign in.

HBOGo, WatchDisney, WatchDisneyXD, History, Travel, etc. You name the channel and chances are I have gone to watch it and will find that it isn't working properly even though I previously had signed in with my cable credentials.

It makes it impossible for my kid to use the Roku since when he goes to watch any of the Disney channels, chances are good it won't work properly. Just plain ridiculous. On my Android TV I have yet to be signed out of any of the few channels I have to sign in for. The only reason I keep the Roku around is to watch channels not available on Android but if I have to keep signing in it defeats the purpose.
17 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Have to resign in too often

Not 100% but I believe that is imposed by your cable company TTto verify you still have service.
0 Kudos
bru20
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:
Not 100% but I believe that is imposed by your cable company TTto verify you still have service.

If it is related to the cable company then it is someone how tied to Roku as well. I've been signed in to HBOGo on Android TV for months. I have had to sign in numerous times to HBOGo on Roku over the same period.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Roku can't do a damn thing about it except forward it to the channel devs. It's up to the channel operator/cable co. your using to fix the issue. Likely they have this in place to prevent people from sharing their accounts. Roku does not write the channels, so, the issue lies with the cable co. and the person who wrote the channel. NBC is really bad about it.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:

Three players in the equation actually. Streaming Device (Roku, Console, Android, iOS, etc.), TV Provider (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Charter, etc.), and Content Provider (HBO, History, FX, National Geographic, etc.).
Contracts regarding authentication renewals vary greatly among the various combinations.
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

This is why I don't bother with some channels at all. What is so hard keeping you logged into?
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hello:

Just use OTA DVR solutions, HULU, PLEX, PLAYON and KODI (On other devices) for your VOD "Catch up" instead of the Go/Watch apps and you don't have to worry about having to activate/authenticate so often. I only use these channels when there is no other way to watch what I am looking for but usually I can find pretty much everything on Kodi if I can't find it on Roku.

Hope this information helps.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
overtimeman
Level 7

I have the same problem with my cable company with those TV Everywhere apps so the only one I really use now is the ESPN app during football season.Got tired of dragging out the laptop just to sign in but I have nothing but love for the ESPN app though.
I used to have a life before Roku!
0 Kudos
bru20
Level 8

"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

Just use OTA DVR solutions, HULU, PLEX, PLAYON and KODI (On other devices) for your VOD "Catch up" instead of the Go/Watch apps and you don't have to worry about having to activate/authenticate so often. I only use these channels when there is no other way to watch what I am looking for but usually I can find pretty much everything on Kodi if I can't find it on Roku.

I thought I had a plethora of streaming devices but you really went to town. The Roku is typically third after Nexus Player and Kodi but there are some things that we still like to use it for. Just wish I didn't have to log in so frequently. Also would like my son to be able to use it on his own but if he has to log in that won't work.
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

"bru20" wrote:
"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

I thought I had a plethora of streaming devices but you really went to town. The Roku is typically third after Nexus Player and Kodi but there are some things that we still like to use it for. Just wish I didn't have to log in so frequently. Also would like my son to be able to use it on his own but if he has to log in that won't work.

Hello:

I have one Roku plus Kodi/XBMC companion device on each of my TV's. I use my Mac Mini as my ("first gen" Apple TV), PLEX/PLAYON media server and EyeTV DVR solution for my bedroom TV and Equiso Android TV. Roku plus TiVo and Google TV connected to DVD Recorder and audio receiver for my living room TV, Roku plus Raspberry Pi on my son's TV. Roku plus Nexus player in Entertainment room and Roku plus FireTV in my home office. I have a Simple.TV network DVR for multi-room and out of home viewing of my DVR recordings. I also use my old VCR and Homeworx PVR/Tuner to record from my Roku's (All my Roku's have analog connections that allow me to record when needed.). However, since I can pretty much watch anything I want, I rarely have the need to record anything but I found it interesting to explore the capabilities of my gadgets and how I can get the maximum free content out of them.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos