Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spider-raid
Level 7

Hacker herrassment

I get hacker herrassment with ads that are too personal, and that's with my internet activity, does anyone else get this?

I removed all free apps and still, then I found out I could connect to the ad-hoc network roku broadcasts, and roku o.s does not even come with a firewall???????

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Hacker herrassment

@Spider-raid wrote:

I get hacker herrassment with ads that are too personal, and that's with my internet activity, does anyone else get this?

I removed all free apps and still, then I found out I could connect to the ad-hoc network roku broadcasts, and roku o.s does not even come with a firewall???????

Not sure what "hacker harassment with ads that are too personal" means - personalized ads are not "hacker harassment" - could you clarify what you are experiencing in more detail/specificity?

Also, have you limited ad tracking (personalized ads) and reset your advertising identifier?   Settings/Privacy/Advertising/Limit ad tracking & Reset advertising identifier

Finally, you are probably referring to the "ad hoc" WiFi network created for the purpose of using WiFi Direct (which Rokus use for Enhanced/Point anywhere remotes, Screen mirroring, and Hotel & Dorm Connect) - no (user configurable) "firewall" is implemented in most consumer electronics devices for the purpose/reason of device interconnectivity/interoperability, Roku included.

Generally the thinking is that intrusions are stopped/prevented at the modem/gateway/router (network edge) and thats the best location for firewall security in home networks, not per device, as per device firewalls would cause all sorts of intra-LAN connectivity problems (which they can/do).

0 Kudos