Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HULU program not playing after a commercial

Jump to solution

After the latest update when a watching Hulu and a commercial plays, at the end of the commercial the picture freezes but the audio of the program plays. I've tried a factory rest which did not fit it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HULU program not playing after a commercial

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and patience regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Please be aware that we have passed along your concerns to the appropriate team and expect this issue to be resolved in a future update.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
397 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

After receiving a Roku operating system update, it is a good idea to do an additional manual update check to be sure any necessary channel app updates get installed.

Settings > System > System update

I think your factory reset would have re-installed all the latest channel versions, but it can't hurt to make sure.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you. I'll give it a try

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue. I have checked updates on both Hulu and the roku, I’ve tried restarting it, unplugging it, nothing has worked! 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I keep having the same issue it’s skipping scenes, then it goes to an ad and at then end of the ad the screen freezes and audio continues, I rewind it to where it left off before getting skipped and it just keeps skipping the same scene and the same thing happens all over again!! I have delete the app and reinstalled, restarted the roku and router and it’s still happening 

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

My guess:

Perhaps the commercials on HULU are being transmitted in a different resolution and/or frame rate than the main program. As a result, every time it switches into or out of the commercial breaks, the combined Roku/HDMI/TV system must reconfigure itself to accommodate the change.

Try changing the Roku's "Display type" settings (Home > Settings > Display type) to your TV's native resolution, rather than "Auto" to minimize the disruption caused by the switch and see if that helps.

Also, your Roku may have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item at Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced display settings.  Try disabling this.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestions.   I tried setting the display type rather than relying upon auto-detect.  Unfortunately, that didn't work for Express+ Model 3931

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks I just tried it, it didn’t work though 😭

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have tried everything I can think of. My other Roku- Streaming stick  3810R works just fine

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Any way to get this post bumped up? I'm having same issue and none of these fixes did anything.