Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

HGTVGO

Why is it necessary for my to have a TV service such as Direct TV in order to watch HGTVGO?

The whole reason for getting a Roku was so I could get away from Direct TV and their increasing cost.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: HGTVGO

The answer is simply because that's the way HGTV (and most other cable-type channels) set it up.  If you aren't subscribing to a provider that pays part of their subscription fees to HGTV, then HGTV isn't getting paid.  They aren't in business to provide you their programming for free.

If you don't want to subscribe to a cable/satellite provider with HGTV there are some streaming providers you can use.  Ones I know of are Philo, Sling, FuboTV, YouTube TV, and Hulu Live TV.  There may be others.  None of them are free, but they generally cost less than a full blown cable or satellite subscription.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos